Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mouse pointer won't move on Stretch 9.3

Need help with peripherals or devices?
dadwhiskers

mouse pointer won't move on Stretch 9.3

#1 Post by dadwhiskers »

I did a full install of Stretch 9.3, and at boot the mouse pointer won't move. The mouse worked as it should on V. 8.8, which I replaced with 9.3. So, I can't log in, or do anything except to push the power or reset buttons, and open and close the DVD.

Any clues would be good, as being a noob, I have none. Thanks.

GarryRicketson

Re: mouse pointer won't move on Stretch 9.3

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

1st make sure the cat didn't eat the mouse, and also that it is plugged in.
Any clues would be good,---snip---
Yes , it would be good if we had some clues as to what kind of hardware, mouse with a tail, or touch pad ,or what ?etc,...Ok , we do know it was working before, but with no clues or details, like what firm ware it has etc, not even a clue about the DE, either,...My crystal ball says, maybe some firmware is missing .
Did you try this ? mouse pointer won't move on Stretch 9.3

dadwhiskers

#3 Post by dadwhiskers »

Clues:
Desktop
GA-990XA-UD3 Gigabyte MB
AMD FX-8120 3.1Ghz 8-core
Graphics - Radeon 6790
16 GB DDR3 1600 memory
Generic Chinese USB optical mouse
Dell USB keyboard
(Also, the OS didn't recognize my Logitech wireless
mouse and keyboard - they were turned on during
and after installation)
I don't know what firmware (drivers) Stretch might
use, as I haven't been able to log in.
What's a DE?
I searched the internet and this site and got nothing
more similar than a pointer freeze in some FPS game
I also looked in the bios, and all USB options were activated
Stretch was installed from the AMD64 DVD Binary - 1 20171209 - 12:11,
and the 2 disks that were included in the download

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

If you can get to a login with ctrl-alt-F2 you can read some logs and find out what's up. If no response, the system is frozen. Since you shouldn't? need a mouse to login. It's probably some graphics hang or missing firmware etc.

radeon always needs firmware, there's a wiki. https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo and a lot of threads on forum here about how to install it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

What's a DE?
Desktop Environment, Like Gnome, KDE, XFCE ?
What happens if you use: ctrl-alt-f2 , those 3 keys should get you a terminal, where you can login, and no mouse needed.
Stretch was installed from the AMD64 DVD Binary - 1 20171209 - 12:11,
and the 2 disks that were included in the download
I am not sure, what to think here, I don't see any DVD binary available here,

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 4/iso-dvd/

and 20171209, if that is the date ? Wonder where you down loaded that from ?
If you are not very good with working from the CLI, to try to fix this, it might be a better idea to download a ISO, and put it on a DVD, and try installing with a more current image, I have to run now, but also, all you need is 1 good DVD, not all 2 of them. the first one is the one you need.
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 4/iso-dvd/
There are lots of files here! Do I need all of them?

In most cases it is not necessary to download and use all of these images to be able to install Debian on your computer. Debian comes with a massive set of software packages, hence why it takes so many disks for a complete set. Most typical users only need a small subset of those software packages.

Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional. If you have a fast Internet connection, you're most likely better off installing any desired extra packages directly from the Debian mirrors on the Internet instead of by using these extra images.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

yes, we really need to make sure if the problem is with your mouse or the desktop freezes over completely.

it is possible to use a graphical desktop without a mouse pointer, please make some tests.
dadwhiskers wrote:Generic Chinese USB optical mouse
Dell USB keyboard
(Also, the OS didn't recognize my Logitech wireless
mouse and keyboard - they were turned on during
and after installation)
that's a lot of peripherals to troubleshoot simultaneously.
please reduce that number until we know more.