Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] WIFI (8192cu) does not work after waking the system

Need help with peripherals or devices?
loosemonkey

[Solved] WIFI (8192cu) does not work after waking the system

#1 Post by loosemonkey »

When I close my laptop lid, the laptop goes into a sleep "Suspend" mode. When I turn it back on "wake it up" from the 'Suspend/Sleep' state the wifi adapter (RTL8192 1.11 Driver / EDUP, N8505GS wifi device) is unable to establish a connection to the wifi station on its own "it hangs connecting". The only way work around this, I tried and it worked is removing the wifi adapter/dongle from the usb port and reinserting it back into usb port, then it is able to connect to the wifi station again. Any tips what I can do or try instead of replugging the bloody thing everytime after the standby/suspend mode? thanks!
Last edited by loosemonkey on 2018-11-01 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Wireless WIFI adapter does not work after waking the Sys

#2 Post by bw123 »

There are several good threads on the forum about it. When you wake/resume, instead of unplugging and plugging the device, try to get the device to work by using modprobe to remove and reinsert the module. If that is successful, then a script would probably work, maybe in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d or perhaps /lib/systemd/system-sleep

There may be other ways to convince the system to ignore the device during suspend, search a little on the forum and you'll get the idea. It shouldn't be that hard to find something that works.

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=debian+usb+wifi+suspend
resigned by AI ChatGPT

loosemonkey

Re: Wireless WIFI adapter does not work after waking the Sys

#3 Post by loosemonkey »

bw123 wrote:There are several good threads on the forum about it. When you wake/resume, instead of unplugging and plugging the device, try to get the device to work by using modprobe to remove and reinsert the module. If that is successful, then a script would probably work, maybe in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d or perhaps /lib/systemd/system-sleep

There may be other ways to convince the system to ignore the device during suspend, search a little on the forum and you'll get the idea. It shouldn't be that hard to find something that works.

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=debian+usb+wifi+suspend
thanks bud, the command below solved the issue (just gotta script/add this into the 'resume/wake' startup mode, looking this up):

Code: Select all

modprobe -r 8192cu ; modprobe 8192cu

stevepusser

Re: [Solved] WIFI (8192cu) does not work after waking the sy

#4 Post by stevepusser »

What works for me with my built-in Intel wifi is to create a file called /etc/pm/config.d/config with the contents:

Code: Select all

SUSPEND_MODULES="iwlwifi"
That unloads the module before suspend and reloads it afterwards. Replace or add your module name. This is on MX Linux booted with sysvinit, but I got the solution from an Ubuntu thread for a version that used systemd.
MX Linux packager and developer