[Solved] WIFI (8192cu) does not work after waking the system

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

[Solved] WIFI (8192cu) does not work after waking the system

Postby loosemonkey » 2018-11-01 19:21

When I close my laptop lid, the laptop goes into a sleep "Suspend" mode. When I turn it back on "wake it up" from the 'Suspend/Sleep' state the wifi adapter (RTL8192 1.11 Driver / EDUP, N8505GS wifi device) is unable to establish a connection to the wifi station on its own "it hangs connecting". The only way work around this, I tried and it worked is removing the wifi adapter/dongle from the usb port and reinserting it back into usb port, then it is able to connect to the wifi station again. Any tips what I can do or try instead of replugging the bloody thing everytime after the standby/suspend mode? thanks!
Last edited by loosemonkey on 2018-11-01 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
loosemonkey

Re: Wireless WIFI adapter does not work after waking the Sys

Postby bw123 » 2018-11-01 19:56

There are several good threads on the forum about it. When you wake/resume, instead of unplugging and plugging the device, try to get the device to work by using modprobe to remove and reinsert the module. If that is successful, then a script would probably work, maybe in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d or perhaps /lib/systemd/system-sleep

There may be other ways to convince the system to ignore the device during suspend, search a little on the forum and you'll get the idea. It shouldn't be that hard to find something that works.

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=debian+usb+wifi+suspend
bw123

Re: Wireless WIFI adapter does not work after waking the Sys

Postby loosemonkey » 2018-11-01 21:18

bw123 wrote:There are several good threads on the forum about it. When you wake/resume, instead of unplugging and plugging the device, try to get the device to work by using modprobe to remove and reinsert the module. If that is successful, then a script would probably work, maybe in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d or perhaps /lib/systemd/system-sleep

There may be other ways to convince the system to ignore the device during suspend, search a little on the forum and you'll get the idea. It shouldn't be that hard to find something that works.

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=debian+usb+wifi+suspend

thanks bud, the command below solved the issue (just gotta script/add this into the 'resume/wake' startup mode, looking this up):
Code: Select all
modprobe -r 8192cu ; modprobe 8192cu
loosemonkey

Re: [Solved] WIFI (8192cu) does not work after waking the sy

Postby stevepusser » 2018-11-02 00:53

What works for me with my built-in Intel wifi is to create a file called /etc/pm/config.d/config with the contents:
Code: Select all
SUSPEND_MODULES="iwlwifi"

That unloads the module before suspend and reloads it afterwards. Replace or add your module name. This is on MX Linux booted with sysvinit, but I got the solution from an Ubuntu thread for a version that used systemd.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Quod Libet 4.2.0, Pale Moon 28.2.0, wine-staging 3.20, GIMP 2.10.8, Liquorix kernel 4.18-22, Midori 6.0
stevepusser

Return to Hardware