Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch on Nvidia 960M MSI Gaming Laptop

Need help with peripherals or devices?
stevepusser

Re: Stretch on Nvidia 960M MSI Gaming Laptop

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Argghhh--why does everyone run inxi as root!

Anyway, your hardware is probably supported by the stock 4.9 kernel, but will be happier with a newer kernel from backports for better powersavings for Skylake, and you must have firmware-misc-nonfree from the non-free section to support your Skylake hardware. The stock Mesa 13.06 is fine.

I just recently got my MSI working with Bumblebee after some months, and then helped an MX user with an older gaming MSI laptop also get it working. It seems they need some tweaking to get it to work, unlike my Acer where it just worked out of the box.

I'd try just editing the conf file first after installing Bumblebee, then trying virtualgl packages if that doesn't help. MX 17 is the Stretch-based version for packages.

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=47042

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/v/virtualgl/
MX Linux packager and developer

InvisibleRasta

#17 Post by InvisibleRasta »

sorry i think i didnt understand what i have to do, i added the backports repo for stretch and installed the 4.18 kernel.
after that i installed the firmware-misc-nonfree package. After that i tried to reboot but X was not wroking
do i still need /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

InvisibleRasta wrote:do i still need /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
No, Bumblebee requires no xorg configuration files.

See the warning on the wiki page:
Warning: If you choose to install bumblebee-nvidia and the dependent nvidia driver packages, during postinst, you will see a debconf prompt warning you that you need to create a xorg.conf file in order to use the proprietary nvidia driver. This prompt only applies to non-Optimus users, i.e. single Nvidia GPU systems. Do NOT allow debconf to create a xorg.conf file, and do NOT run nvidia-xconfig!
EDIT: if you are switching back to nouveau from the blobby drivers see https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... of_failure
deadbang

milomak

#19 Post by milomak »

InvisibleRasta wrote: echo 'nouveau' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
why have you done this step?
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
InvisibleRasta wrote:do i still need /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
No, Bumblebee requires no xorg configuration files.
that conf file is to load the intel graphics driver not for use with bumblebee
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

The 20-intel.conf file tells Debian to use the driver provided by xserver-xorg-video-intel instead of the kernel's modesetting driver. Without it, you'll get modesetting. The "intel" driver works fine for me with the blobby Nvidia driver with Bumblebee. Nothing installs that file for you (except MX Tweak, not in Debian), somehow you must have managed to follow instructions to create it. Those directions were poor, because the line:

Code: Select all

Option      "AccelMethod"
is, as the error messages say it, "malformed".

Bumblebee does install a conf file for Nvidia, it's just in /etc/bumblebee, and is what I had to edit to get working on my MSI, and it seems to have helped that other MX user--please read the thread, and experiment with virtualgl if that doesn't help.

You don't need any xorg.conf files at all.

InvisibleRasta

#21 Post by InvisibleRasta »

i am not sure if all the drivers work now (had to reinstall like 5 times the whole system)
but this is what inxi shows... imnot sure if i configured everything properly

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

InvisibleRasta wrote:i am not sure if all the drivers work now (had to reinstall like 5 times the whole system)
but this is what inxi shows... imnot sure if i configured everything properly

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
OK, your Intel card is working, so after installing Bumblebee, it's supposed to switch the 3D GLX rendering to the Nvidia card if you run "optirun inxi -G", like so on my laptop:

$ optirun inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 390.87 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.87 
And the Nvidia GPU indicator light on this laptop turns on for a second, then back off like it's supposed to.

But like I said, it seems MSI laptops can need a little more tweaking to get Bumblebee working.

InvisibleRasta

#23 Post by InvisibleRasta »

yeah i dont know, been trying to configure for a week.. i reinstalled i dont know how many times. i think i am ditching debian for now... too hard to get things running compared to gentoo. hopefully next releases will support a wider range of hardware

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

Well, Debian isn't for you if you won't even try editing one configuration file to start.
I'm sure Gentoo is much easier to set up....

BTW, MSI's also need those tweaks on other distros such as Arch and Ubuntu--I found the info by searching their forums. Good luck!

InvisibleRasta

#25 Post by InvisibleRasta »

well to be honest i have both arch and gentoo runnin gon that laptop. im not sure waht is making it so hard fro debian... im not used to all the autoconfiguration it does by itself i guess... but something is not working... it should be as easy as installing nvidia-drivers, bumblebee and that config file.. isntead its full of crashes, bugs