Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

built-in sound card lost when removing laptop dock

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ramislebob

built-in sound card lost when removing laptop dock

#1 Post by ramislebob »

Hi
I'm using a dock on my dell laptop: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us ... ns?lang=en
I've some issue with the sound card.
When I plug, I want to switch to the sound card of the dock where my headset is connected.
Often, when I connect the dock, I get the second screen straight away but the sound card is not kicking in, I've to disconnect, reconnect and then it works. This is alright.
The problem is that often when I disconnect and use the laptop without the dock, I loose the built-in soundcard in pulse audio. Instead I just have a "dummy output"
How can I force the sound to reset without rebooting? For now it is the only option I found (to reboot) in order to get back the built in sound card. It is quite constraining.
Is there a way to reset the sound service?
Cheers

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: built-in sound card lost when removing laptop dock

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ramislebob wrote:How can I force the sound to reset without rebooting?
If you are using PulseAudio (and systemd) try

Code: Select all

# systemctl restart pulseaudio
EDIT: write a udev rule to automate the restart: https://wiki.debian.org/udev
deadbang

ramislebob

Re: built-in sound card lost when removing laptop dock

#3 Post by ramislebob »

ok cheers, I'll give it a try next week when I'll have the problem and let you know if the restart of pulseaudio was enough