Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where to put SCSI driver

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Harold

#31 Post by Harold »

This what my computer shows:

$ dpkg -s lilo grub

Package: lilo
Priority: optional
Section: base

Package: grub
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 668
Maintainer: Grub Maintainers <pkg-grub-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.95+cvs20040624-17
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1)
Suggests: grub-doc, grubconf
Description: GRand Unified Bootloader
GRUB is a GPLed bootloader intended to unify bootloading across x86 operating systems. In addition to loading the Linux kernel, it implements the Multiboot standard, which allows for flexible loading of multiple boot images (needed for modular kernels such as the GNU Hurd).

This is different from your results. GRUB is *not* installed on your computer. Mepis has installed a patched application named grub-gfxboot, and added the caveat: This version of grub is patched to do shiny stuff like display graphical menus using the gfxboot patches. It might also eat the cat.

Problem 1: The mepis patched package obviously isn't properly accepting updates.
Problem 2: I like cats!

Also...
dpkg -s lilo
Package: lilo

...indicates that you have some lilo config files somewhere on your hard drive.

***** It's Showtime! *****

1. $ su
2. # dpkg -l | grep grub # detect all patched grub packages installed on your computer.
3. # apt-get remove --purge lilo patched_grub_packages # wipes packages *and* configuration files
4. # apt-get install grub # Installs Debian *standard* GRUB
5. # mv /boot/grub/ /boot/grub-mephis/ # Gets patched configuration files out of the way but still accessible.
6. # grub-install '(hd0,9)' # Include single quotes! Writes MBR, creates /boot/grub/ and populates it with everything except menu.lst.
7. # update-grub # Writes menu.lst.
8. # apt-get install --reinstall kernel-image-foo # Not necessary; skip if you wish, but gives the kernel package an opportunity to review menu.lst. Won't take long, assuming you haven't erased the kernel-image deb.
9. # reboot # and enjoy! This is going to work, Casey! :-)

Edit 1: Here is a freebie from O'Reilly on bootloaders: Linux in a Nutshell : Chapter 4

Casey

#32 Post by Casey »

Thanks for the "Showtime"

I will study it, but as I am a little apprehensive about doing it I may be somewhat slow at getting it done if at all.

Let's just say that I have thought about using Synaptic to uninstall the "shiny" version and replace it with the old "unshiny" Grub. My main concern is that apt-get (Synaptic) does not end up installing Grub to the MBR. I MUST keep it in the root of Mepis. I can not afford to mess up my access to XP where my important programs reside (yes, I know that can be fixed, supposedly :( ) . And because Mepis, or any Linux I have seen is not yet ready for prime time, I am not yet ready to accept it as my primary OS. It simply has too many little bugs such as this one.

An alternative is to completely uninstall this new kernel and install the one compiled for Mepis 3.3 as soon as it becomes available again.

Thanks for your diligent attention to this. :mrgreen:

Harold

#33 Post by Harold »

No problem. The root question turned out to be (1) stay on the Mepis path or (2) veer off to the Debian path. It's a win-win situation, unless your name is Bill Gates. :-)