Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD RX560 on Debian Stretch - Not supported?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: AMD RX560 on Debian Stretch - Not supported?

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:what sort of recovery should i resort to, if the recovery mode does automatically cut me "off the cloud"
For the benefit of others: use the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#32 Post by mrkapqa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:what sort of recovery should i resort to, if the recovery mode does automatically cut me "off the cloud"
For the benefit of others: use the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop.
Thanks ,

this seems complicated to me. does this apply also on a VirtualBox?
i would like to add that i did a "fresh install" on a SSD (RyzenPC with dedicated RX560 Graphics) so i am really wondering why this happens. The RX560 is a reformulated RX460 if i understood correctly. Should lead to a graphical environment, if selected, on Debian 10.

+the recovery offers no internet connectivity?
+the DVD installer seems faulty again (hence i resorted to USB > no DVD line is added to sources.list > no internet > no package installs.

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:i did a "fresh install" on a SSD (RyzenPC with dedicated RX560 Graphics) so i am really wondering why this happens.
Because that card needs non-free firmware to work properly, as has already been explained several times in this thread.
mrkapqa wrote:The RX560 is a reformulated RX460 if i understood correctly. Should lead to a graphical environment, if selected, on Debian 10.
Not unless you install the non-free firmware. So that card isn't supported by the official Debian release but the necessary packages are available from the non-free component of the Debian repositories.
mrkapqa wrote:+the recovery offers no internet connectivity?
AFAIUI, only a limited number of services are started in recovery mode so the networking services must be excluded. It is certainly possible to connect from the recovery mode though and booting to multi-user.target should leave you with the networking enabled.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#34 Post by mrkapqa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:Total fail.
Yes, you're not doing well, are you? :mrgreen:

Boot with the systemd.unit=multi-user.target kernel command line parameter to disable the graphical desktop, use ifupdown or nmcli to connect then add the non-free component to your sources, update the package database and install the non-free firmware required by your graphics card.
Hello ,

i tried once more to install this (now with Debian-10-Gnome-Live.iso)

where should i enter this "systemd.unit=multi-user.target command line?

If i press "E" @Grub there comes a very long list of commands.

Mode 2, to regain Network-Connectivity:
In recovery mode, the command
"ifupdown" is unknown
and "nmcli" gives no result
and "ifconfig eth0 up" is not working in recovery because "ifconfig" is apparently no longer included since Stretch.

Very smart Debian

https://nology.de/debian-recovery-mode- ... rking.html

mrkapqa

#35 Post by mrkapqa »

mrkapqa wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:Total fail.

where should i enter this "systemd.unit=multi-user.target command line?

If i press "E" @Grub there comes a very long list of commands.
Ok, Thanks, now i found out:

i would insert it in line "linux" after "quiet" -

now it is booting into recovery with Internet capabilities again.
but installing

apt install firmware-amd-graphics

solved nothing.
Last edited by mrkapqa on 2019-08-03 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

mrkapqa

#36 Post by mrkapqa »

sudo apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree was missing!

This
systemd.unit=multi-user.target
thing should be somehow made available in recovery mode as an option, that would very much alleviate the process.

Head_on_a_Stick

#37 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

So is it working now?
mrkapqa wrote:"ifconfig eth0 up" is not working in recovery because "ifconfig" is apparently no longer included since Stretch.
The ifconfig command was made obsolete quite a while ago and so is no longer included in the stock system.

Code: Select all

# ip link set eth0 up
mrkapqa wrote:This
systemd.unit=multi-user.target
thing should be somehow made available in recovery mode as an option, that would very much alleviate the process.
I've included the information in my [FAQ], hopefully people will read that rather than start more threads about this.

EDIT: the rescue mode in the ISO image can be used to get a root shell in the system with a working internet connection.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#38 Post by mrkapqa »

yes, it is functioning, quite well.

Firmware-Amd-Graphics was not sufficient, Firmware-Linux-Nonfree was needed (too).

I could not tell if it would suffice to install Firmware-Linux-Nonfree.

In any way, this has been a workaround, but i would presume a lot of people are affected by this issue and could be disappointed.
I tried to install a newer Kernel to see if this alone would settle it, but apparently there are none available in the repositories. Testing and Sid shows the same Linux-Image.

Head_on_a_Stick

#39 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:i would presume a lot of people are affected by this issue and could be disappointed
The Social Contract and the Debian Free Software Guidelines are considered more important than convenience.
deadbang

mrkapqa

#40 Post by mrkapqa »

Thanks ,
i wonder how well the free driver development for the Polaris GPU has then become - it is now 3 years since its release more or less - if there is still a "free" driver around ...
i never had such problems with Debian until recently .. so i am still a bit baffled.

I am a bit confused by the wiki here as it says "Open Source Drivers"

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

Does Debian not allow to include such "Open Source Drivers" ?

Head_on_a_Stick

#41 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:I am a bit confused by the wiki here as it says "Open Source Drivers"

Debian includes the open source AMD drivers but not the non-free firmware. From your linked wiki page:
Debian wiki wrote:Firmware

Proprietary, binary-only firmware (aka microcode) was removed from the Debian kernel's radeon DRM driver in linux-2.6 2.6.29-1, to resolve Debian bug 494009. The firmware can be provided by installing the firmware-amd-graphics or firmware-linux-nonfree package.

Without this package installed, poor 2D/3D performance in the radeon driver is commonly experienced. Some GPUs may require firmware to operate the X Window System, or do dual display.
deadbang

smoki

#42 Post by smoki »

mrkapqa wrote: I am a bit confused by the wiki here as it says "Open Source Drivers"

These drivers are open source, while firmwares are not. So Debian ship drivers (for which code is available), while for firmwares (for which code is not available) you need to do something about.

In this case it is enough to enable non-free repo and to install missing blobs... while you are there take a look, maybe you need something more from there :lol:
Like maybe CPU microcode updates, etc... these are also blobies and also not installed by default of course.

Like BIOS updates blobies for your mobo, optional sometimes not so maybe you want it maybe don't :D

mrkapqa

#43 Post by mrkapqa »

The only serious problems i ever had with Graphics or Firmware was with PowerPC Graphics on Powermac G5 when upgrading to Jessie (that concerned Nvidia, mostly).
Also some ATI Graphics had a bit of trouble on Powerbook G4, but that was also more of a singular Graphics Card Line Problem.

Since i run a RyzenPC withouth WiFi or Bluetooth i don't think i am missing something , but thanks for the tip, i still might take a look around to see what is there to learn.

mrkapqa

#44 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello ,

i have made a fresh install of Devuan Ascii (based on Debian Stretch) and this graphics card is still poorly performing.

Is there any way to improve the graphics driver for RX560 on Debian 9?
The graphics card is not the best, but i was hoping that the opensource driver would perform better.

Thank you

Head_on_a_Stick

#45 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:i have made a fresh install of Devuan Ascii (based on Debian Stretch) and this graphics card is still poorly performing.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=20766#p20766

I presume that's your thread over at dev1galaxy.org?
deadbang

mrkapqa

#46 Post by mrkapqa »

yes, and i upgraded to Devuan3.0 in the meantime,

so my question should be upgraded to

"what can i do on Debian Buster to improve the situation for the RX560 Graphics Card".

Well, probably , not much, i suppose.

Sadly, the AMDGPU-PRO software won't install, am i right?

Head_on_a_Stick

#47 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mrkapqa wrote:yes, and i upgraded to Devuan3.0 in the meantime,

so my question should be upgraded to

"what can i do on Debian Buster to improve the situation for the RX560 Graphics Card".
Devuan is not supported here and Debian buster is off-topic for this thread.

If you want to try Debian buster then please do so but only open a new thread after you have tried the non-free firmware.
mrkapqa wrote:the AMDGPU-PRO software won't install, am i right?
The AMDGPU-PRO driver is out-performed by the open-source version for almost all tasks, see the Phoronix website for more on this.
deadbang