Lenovo yoga 11S Hardware/software setup

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Lenovo yoga 11S Hardware/software setup

Postby devind0 » 2019-02-01 02:40

Hello. A customer recently gave me a Lenovo yoga 11S laptop running windows 10. I do not want to use windows 10, i wanted to get Debian installed. I usually install the XFCE variant of debian from the live CD.
The install ran through fine, and I am able to get to the login screen, but after typing in my login info, it just sits at the desktop background, nothing further loads and i never see the window manager / icons.
I can switch over to to a virtual terminal, the system is installed and working properly otherwise.

There is a nice guide on the laptop already on the debian wiki, however i have not been able to log in to the point i can configure any further hardware.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... Yoga%2011s
devind0

Re: Lenovo yoga 11S Hardware/software setup

Postby bw123 » 2019-02-01 03:21

You should include filename of the exact image you installed from in the post, and anything unusual about the install like encryption, lvm, multiple disks, etc...

I would probably try to restart the display-manager.service from tty. You can use systemctl to check it's status. If that does not work, you could check that xfwm and/or xfdesktop are running, or maybe confirm that lightdm is launching the correct xsession. The logging is in journalctl, and that will have a clue surely about what is going on. There was also a nasty bug about entropy that hung a lot of systems, but I believe it only affected testing/buster, and only on some systems or kernels.

I found several other suggestions searching for xfce+"no desktop" on search engine, did you do any searches to try and solve it already?
bw123

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-02-01 06:59

Is there anything in the Xorg log?
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby devind0 » 2019-02-04 16:16

Sorry to waste time here. I suspected a corrupted install image. Upon Reinstalling the system is functioning properly and I am able to use the desktop.
devind0

Return to Hardware