[SOLVED] m.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo)

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Re: m.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo)

Postby 4D696B65 » 2019-03-13 14:18

negrao wrote:My lenovo laptop also has a single SSD and yet Intel RST was active, so you should check in the firmware. For some reason lenovo is shipping laptops with a single ssd with software RAID active.

Best,
Miguel

My Asus ROG came with 1 HD in raid, it drove me nuts until I found out.
4D696B65

Postby starche » 2019-03-14 00:05

Funny thing you guys mentioned that. I kinda missed this item in the firmware - "Storage". I was looking there, but couldn't see.

I get there and switch to AHCI, saved changed and reboot firmware. I was shocked - I cannot see this item any more. I reboot to Windows and sure enough - it won't boot. I tried few tricks I know trying to repair boot, but no luck. I reset the firmware - to be able to see "Storage". Then I saw it, put back to RST and boot into Windows.

Now I will try to change to AHCI, but the right way lol. Once in a while I like to do experiments, you know :-)
starche

Postby starche » 2019-03-14 01:00

Just booted into Debian. Thank you very much guys for your help.

I did not realize that Lenovo for some weird reason will use RAID setup even with a single SSD. Kinda weird choice, but now I know what to do.

Again guys, thank you for your help. You saved me.

P.S. I was shocked that touchpad is working. I have read manuals how to turn it on and had them handy, but looks I don't really need.
P.P.S. I was even more shocked that touch screen is wirking. After reading all that comments that touch screen is not great in Debian - IDK, I have nothing complain about.
P.P.P.S. I will need to figure out how to increase scale. I'm older guy and my eyes are not great as they used to be. So, I'll need to do smth with screen scaling.
starche

Re: [SOLVED] m.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo)

Postby arianpranav » 2020-07-30 11:22

I got a new DELL Inspiron 3880 desktop with windows, when i continued with Debian net installer i could not see any disk out there apart from USB drive i.e. the bootable drive.
After updating BIOS settings (Disable RAID) the SATA Segate HD and Samsung 970 NVME SSD both are visible, while the installation disk selection page.
Debian installation also completed fine but Grub Dual boot could not boot both the OS now at one go. If i enable RAID: the windows boots fine but Debian fails, if disable Raid: (switch to AHCI) Debian works fine and windows fail so sort of stuck up :(

I can try windows install with RAID off and AHCI which could load both but is it the only and best alternative ?

Appreciate any experts help or comments...
Last edited by arianpranav on 2020-07-30 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
arianpranav

Postby sunrat » 2020-07-30 11:52

arianpranav wrote:Debian installation also completed fine but Grub Dual boot could not boot windows. If i enable RAID the windows boot fine but Debian fails, if disabled Raid (switch to UEFI) Debian works fine so sort of stuck up now. :(

Windows needs to be set to ACPI before changing to it from RAID in UEFI /BIOS settings. There are a few guides on the webz. Not sure if you can change it after. May have to set it back to RAID then change Windows settings then subsequently back to ACPI again.

Also, it's normal forum etiquette to start a new thread for a new issue rather than tacking on to an existing one.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby arianpranav » 2020-07-30 12:03

Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW i read this thread and found quite similar so posted on this. It is my first post so would learn and remember the etiquette :(
arianpranav

Postby arianpranav » 2020-07-31 05:11

I am able to resolve the issue of disks not getting listed in Debian install screen by changing the RAID to AHCI via BIOS settings.

Though there are few ways to fix windows after above change but i did fresh windows install over SSD after new bios settings and now both OS are working fine. Debian is installed in HDD partition.
arianpranav

Previous

Return to Hardware