Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New speakers out of sync with video

Need help with peripherals or devices?
tagal4

New speakers out of sync with video

#1 Post by tagal4 »

I installed new Logitec z323 speakers on my computer (running Stretch) and they sound great but the sound is terribly out of sync with the video when I watch Youtube. The previous speakers I had on the computer (Harman Kardon) didn't have this issue (before they quit working) so I'm wondering if there's some issue with the speakers, or how the speakers are interacting with my operating system or sound card.

I would appreciate ideas on what could be going on. The only thing I found online had something to do with the "drivers" and suggested updating them. For some reason I don't have a software manger (or I can't find it) on my MATE desktop so I don't know how I'd go about this other than to follow instructions for installing the latest drivers for my particular sound card. I think if it was my sound card drivers that were the problem then my previous speakers would have also had this problem, which as I mentioned they didn't, right?

vbrummond

Re: New speakers out of sync with video

#2 Post by vbrummond »

tagal4 wrote:I would appreciate ideas on what could be going on.
You have come to the right place.
The only thing I found online had something to do with the "drivers" and suggested updating them.
The alsa drivers are in the kernel. The simplest way to update them would be to install a newer kernel. You can install a backports kernel from this official repository. https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
think if it was my sound card drivers that were the problem then my previous speakers would have also had this problem, which as I mentioned they didn't, right?
This seems logical, perhaps test the speakers with another computer to verify this particular sound card being the problem.

Also, you might want to look into installing pulseaudio if it is not already installed.

Lastly just to make sure, you are using stretch with mate, and have this connected via an internal 3.5mm jack, correct?
Always on Debian Testing

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

Also test other apps and browsers to make sure the problem isn’t just YouTube.
Always on Debian Testing

tagal4

#4 Post by tagal4 »

It's happening on Daily Motion, too, to a certain extent so I'm pretty sure it's not just a youtube problem.

I have Alsa Mixer and PulseAudio installed. It looks like in PulseAudio "configuration" there is an output choice you need to make: which option should I select with my new speakers which have a separate sub-woofer - "analog surround 2.1 output + analog stereo input"?

tagal4

#5 Post by tagal4 »

I've also been having other problems that may or may not be related. I can't bookmark tabs any more when I try to and I lost my adblocker add on; when I went to reinstall it it said it couldn't do it. So I'm wondering if the issue lies with Firefox which is the browser I've been using. I need to try a different browser to see if the problems persist.

vbrummond

#6 Post by vbrummond »

Also try a downloaded video in a video player app.
Always on Debian Testing