Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] dvd reader/writers don't work after testing upgrade

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jrv

Re: dvd reader/writers don't work after latest testing upgra

#16 Post by jrv »

4D696B65 wrote:Did you install the Debian proper version?
https://packages.debian.org/sid/libcdio18
Yes, synaptic found the right version, as really it must as long as the repositories are set up correctly. I did not re-install this particular package directly, but one of the other, higher-level packages that I re-installed must have brought it in.

JR

jrv

#17 Post by jrv »

GarryRicketson wrote: I exited since I do not have the information needed, and it really is intended for the person reporting the bug, you are the only one that can give the details requested,....
When you install reportbug, you get a configuration script, that is used to set it up for your e-mail, etc,... if you can not send e-mail from your PC there is options for that, and it saves the report to a file that you can send in a e-mail. Pretty simple really.
Thank you for the information. My fundamental problem at this point is that I don't know what package my problem comes from, if indeed the problem is in a package and not some mis-configuration. Now I have not changed any configuration myself but it is possible that some package I installed touched something.

At this point I have a physical symptom, two of my dvd reader/writers don't work with various programs they have worked with in the past, vlc, abcde, and k3b. I don't think the problem is with any of those packages per se. I thought I had the suspect package when I saw the change in a package that seemed to be about cdrom systems. That theory went out the window when I discovered that I had inadvertently installed the "suspect" package from debian multimedia, and I removed everything from that repository. Since I still have the problem I can only guess it was *not* due to that package.

What I am looking for now is ways to get more insight into where the problem is occurring and/or more specific information to pass on in the bug report. "DVD reader/writer does not work" somehow doesn't seem sufficient except as a headline, and that is nearly all I have. I have the few error messages I reported, but these seem to be at very high level. I know the dvd reader/writer thrashes now more than it usually does, but that really isn't much information either. I am hoping someone can suggest something further to look at for more information, e.g. a log, an increased verbose-ness level, or something.

JR

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well let's start fresh then. I did notice in your first post, you mention 2 different DVD/writer programs,
---snip---abcde/cdparanoia can't rip audio discs. It reports errors like:
I have never heard of, and the other:

Code: Select all

--Lastly I tried to write to a writable dvd using k3b, but it failed. It did not give a detailed explanation. 
So , now it is your turn, decide which one, you want to try to trouble shoot,
and concentrate on that, nothing else, and no others, and no more "How do I make a bug report ?" questions, this is the problem when people post multiple questions, the topic get's totally confusing, and goes no where.
So to start with, just give us the name of the DVD reader writer, that you want to use, but it does not work.
I am hoping someone can suggest something further to look at for more information, e.g. a log, an increased verbose-ness level, or something.
If you try to run k3b from the CLI (terminal), instead of the GUI, DE , it should show you more about the errors, Personally I don't use any of the GUI things for burning DVD's or CD's, generally they are not very reliable, and are a true headache to trouble shoot, but, sorry that is another topic as well,
This might be help full to you, I don't know:
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd
Also you have not told us anything about what Desktop Environment you use, we need to know that.
I can say, awhile back I tried k3b, and it did not work for me either, I got frustrated, and went back to just using the terminal, and commands, had no problems burning DVD's or CD's, either.
So any way, if k3b does not work, then maybe a bug report should/could be submitted, but let's see what errors show if you run it form a terminal.
If you are interested:
http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/burning.html
Is pretty good as well.

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is a example, I installed "abcde", and ran it from the terminal, there was no CD to mount, so it showed the message:

garry@debian:~$ abcde
[WARNING] something went wrong while querying the CD... Maybe a DATA CD or the CD is not loaded?
[WARNING] Error trying to calculate disc ids without lead-out information.
garry@debian:~$  
If you use the terminal, it will show the errors as they occur.

jrv

#20 Post by jrv »

GarryRicketson wrote:Well let's start fresh then. I did notice in your first post, you mention 2 different DVD/writer programs,
---snip---abcde/cdparanoia can't rip audio discs. It reports errors like:
I have never heard of, and the other:
abcde is a package that runs cdparanoia, which is also available as a separate package, to do the heavy lifting of actually reading discs.
GarryRicketson wrote: So , now it is your turn, decide which one, you want to try to trouble shoot,
and concentrate on that, nothing else, and no others, and no more "How do I make a bug report ?" questions, this is the problem when people post multiple questions, the topic get's totally confusing, and goes no where.
GarryRicketson wrote: So to start with, just give us the name of the DVD reader writer, that you want to use, but it does not work.
I will work with the USB DVD reader writer. It is a Samsung Portable DVD Writer Model SE-208

More IDs:
SE-208DB/TSBS F/W=MF00
R8X78YAFB00ZP NOVEMBER 2014
H/W:A Ver.DB
GarryRicketson wrote:
I am hoping someone can suggest something further to look at for more information, e.g. a log, an increased verbose-ness level, or something.
If you try to run k3b from the CLI (terminal), instead of the GUI, DE , it should show you more about the errors, Personally I don't use any of the GUI things for burning DVD's or CD's, generally they are not very reliable, and are a true headache to trouble shoot, but, sorry that is another topic as well,
On Jun 25, 2019 I ripped two music CDs using abcde and burned two data DVDs (backups) using k3b. In the past year I have ripped roughly 800 CDs and burned roughly 100 DVDs. On the Jun 26th I updated and upgraded my machine. After that I can no longer use my DVD reader/writers. I have never had any problem with either package. I have been using them at least once a week for years, and often daily.
GarryRicketson wrote: This might be help full to you, I don't know:
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd
I will point out that k3b (and xfburn) is listed as an alternative to the command line for burning discs on that page.

As an experiment I performed the instructions using command line tools. The directory I put in the .iso contains three small files. The resulting .iso turned out to be 376,832 bytes, i.e. it was very, very small.

genisoimage -v -J -r -V MY_DISK_LABEL -o /home/euterpe/file.iso /home/euterpe/tmp/triangle
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
genisoimage 1.1.11 (Linux)
Scanning /home/euterpe/tmp/triangle
Using TRIAN000.SVG;1 for  /triangle.svg (triangle2.svg)
Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 0
Done with: Initial Padblock                        Block(s)    16
Writing:   Primary Volume Descriptor               Start Block 16
Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor               Block(s)    1
Writing:   Joliet Volume Descriptor                Start Block 17
Done with: Joliet Volume Descriptor                Block(s)    1
Writing:   End Volume Descriptor                   Start Block 18
Done with: End Volume Descriptor                   Block(s)    1
Writing:   Version block                           Start Block 19
Done with: Version block                           Block(s)    1
Writing:   Path table                              Start Block 20
Done with: Path table                              Block(s)    4
Writing:   Joliet path table                       Start Block 24
Done with: Joliet path table                       Block(s)    4
Writing:   Directory tree                          Start Block 28
Done with: Directory tree                          Block(s)    1
Writing:   Joliet directory tree                   Start Block 29
Done with: Joliet directory tree                   Block(s)    1
Writing:   Directory tree cleanup                  Start Block 30
Done with: Directory tree cleanup                  Block(s)    0
Writing:   Extension record                        Start Block 30
Done with: Extension record                        Block(s)    1
Writing:   The File(s)                             Start Block 31
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 423
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Done with: The File(s)                             Block(s)    3
Writing:   Ending Padblock                         Start Block 34
Done with: Ending Padblock                         Block(s)    150
Max brk space used 0
184 extents written (0 MB)
euterpe@euterpe:~/tmp$ cd ..
euterpe@euterpe:~$ ls *.iso
file.iso
euterpe@euterpe:~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/sr0=/home/euterpe/file.iso 
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/euterpe/file.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
:-( unable to PERFORM OPC: Input/output error
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 3.1x1352KBps.
          0/376832 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU   1.2% UBU   0.0%
:-( unable to WRITE@LBA=0h: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error
euterpe@euterpe:~$ 
As best I read this, the result was less than successful. I can try some of the other tools on that page if you think it would provide more information. I chose genisoimage and growisofs arbitrarily.
GarryRicketson wrote: Also you have not told us anything about what Desktop Environment you use, we need to know that.
I am using xfce.
GarryRicketson wrote: I can say, awhile back I tried k3b, and it did not work for me either, I got frustrated, and went back to just using the terminal, and commands, had no problems burning DVD's or CD's, either.
So any way, if k3b does not work, then maybe a bug report should/could be submitted, but let's see what errors show if you run it form a terminal.
If you are interested:
http://www.andrews-corner.org/linux/burning.html
Is pretty good as well.
I have never had any problems with k3b. Based on the above command line experiment I will venture to guess that the problem is not with the gui. Just a guess though.

JR

GarryRicketson

#21 Post by GarryRicketson »

I will point out that k3b (and xfburn) is listed as an alternative to the command line for burning discs on that page.
Yes, I know,... I think you misunderstood me, what I mean is to start
k3b in a terminal,your xfc4-terminal is perfect for this,
IE:
Open a terminal, then at the prompt $,..
type k3b and hit <enter>

$ k3b 
It should start the k3b GUI, as if you had started it from the menu, the terminal window will be in the background, continue with k3b, using the GUI that started when you started it in the terminal, take a look at the terminal, you see output getting printed, when k3b fails, look at the output in the terminal, it might, probably will say something about why the error occurs, and you can select all the text in the terminal, copy/paste it here,..or into a file, and save it for easier reading..
Agreed, probably the problem is not the GUI it's self, but when started from a menu, or Icon, you don't see what is going on, all you see is the GUI, if you start the program in a terminal, you should see everything that occurs, including errors, and can copy/paste that information, as well as read it.
It may show which libraries are missing, or not correct, which is what I think is going on, but I am in no way any kind of expert. You will see what I mean if you do start the k3b program from a terminal, ...Do not close the terminal until you have saved /copied the output, well no big deal, but you will need to try it again, if you close the terminal, before you save the output.

jrv

#22 Post by jrv »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Yes, I know,... I think you misunderstood me, what I mean is to start
k3b in a terminal,your xfc4-terminal is perfect for this,
IE:
Open a terminal, then at the prompt $,..
type k3b and hit <enter>

$ k3b 
It should start the k3b GUI, as if you had started it from the menu, the terminal window will be in the background, continue with k3b, using the GUI that started when you started it in the terminal, take a look at the terminal, you see output getting printed, when k3b fails, look at the output in the terminal, it might, probably will say something about why the error occurs, and you can select all the text in the terminal, copy/paste it here,..or into a file, and save it for easier reading..
Agreed, probably the problem is not the GUI it's self, but when started from a menu, or Icon, you don't see what is going on, all you see is the GUI, if you start the program in a terminal, you should see everything that occurs, including errors, and can copy/paste that information, as well as read it.
It may show which libraries are missing, or not correct, which is what I think is going on, but I am in no way any kind of expert. You will see what I mean if you do start the k3b program from a terminal, ...Do not close the terminal until you have saved /copied the output, well no big deal, but you will need to try it again, if you close the terminal, before you save the output.
I did misunderstand your point. In fact k3b gui has debug output in the gui, but I didn't see it. As it turns out k3b shells out to growisofs, which is a bit of trivia I did not know. I took the .iso file I built for the command line test and tried it in k3b. It worked. I then took some real files and tried to write them. This did not work. This is k3b's debug output (originally more than 2000 lines; I have removed long sections that just show progress):

Burned media
-----------------------
DVD-R Sequential

Devices
-----------------------
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-208DB MF00 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

K3b::IsoImager
-----------------------
mkisofs print size result: 2165133 (4434192384 bytes)

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 18.8.1
KDE Version: 5.49.0
Qt Version:  5.11.3
Kernel:      4.19.0-5-amd64

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 1.1.11
growisofs: 7.1

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 6.1x1352KBps.
     425984/4434192384 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 520:24 RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
    5013504/4434192384 ( 0.1%) @1.0x, remaining 103:04 RBU 100.0% UBU  99.0%
   21168128/4434192384 ( 0.5%) @3.5x, remaining 34:44 RBU 100.0% UBU  97.1%

... more deleted here ...

1881669632/4434192384 (42.4%) @0.0x, remaining 30:46 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
:-( unable to WRITE@LBA=e0500h: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/sr0: flushing cache
:-[ FLUSH CACHE failed with SK=6h/POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED]: Input/output error
/dev/sr0: updating RMA
/dev/sr0: closing disc

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2165133 -dvd-compat -speed=8 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

mkisofs
-----------------------
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
  0.02% done, estimate finish Wed Jul  3 23:49:53 2019
  0.05% done, estimate finish Wed Jul  3 23:49:53 2019

... more deleted here ...

43.18% done, estimate finish Thu Jul  4 00:44:22 2019

mkisofs calculate size command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/genisoimage -gui -graft-points -print-size -quiet -volid bu_urania -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2017 SEBASTIAN TRUEG, MICHAL MALEK AND LESLIE ZHAI -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/k3b.ZhHbBo -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/k3b.YBuQIF -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/k3b.DXmxxI -no-cache-inodes -allow-limited-size -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list /tmp/k3b.UHkeQr

mkisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/genisoimage -gui -graft-points -volid bu_urania -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2017 SEBASTIAN TRUEG, MICHAL MALEK AND LESLIE ZHAI -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/k3b.RcmSAV -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/k3b.dXgjyW -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/k3b.AUKMnu -no-cache-inodes -allow-limited-size -udf -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list /tmp/k3b.gpozQi
JR

jrv

#23 Post by jrv »

The good news is that everything just started working again. After making the repository changes for the recent release and subsequent move of testing to bullseye from buster (20190706), I pulled and installed changes and tried again. So far, so good. The unfortunate part is that I spent about four hours getting the latest version of abcde (2.9.3) to run on ubuntu 18.04, and now that effort is wasted. Sigh.

Thanks to all those who took time to read and reply. Removing the dmo repository and the packages installed from it was a useful result even if it didn't solve my main problem.

JR

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [solved] dvd reader/writers don't work after testing upg

#24 Post by None1975 »

For burning i always use a small cli program-cdw. CDW is in Debian repo.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github