Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

it8212f raid card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
alj

it8212f raid card

#1 Post by alj »

I am trying to set up my first Debian Linux box (which makes me a newbie) using the 14 Sarge setup disks. I am having a problem installing the driver for the it8212f raid card that I have. I run into 2 problems. The iteraid.o module supplied is for gcc2 and it would seem that the compiler used for my kernel(2.4.27) is gcc3 or if I try to compile the source code to make a module I just plain old get lost in the error messages. Note the manufacture (http://www.ite.com.tw/software_download ... Controller)
does supply a script (makefile) and the .c and .h files but I am having difficulties in making it all work.

Thanks

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

I found the drivers and downloaded. I see the three files -- iteraid.h, iteraid.c, Makefile -- in the 2.6 kernel directory. I have the source code for kernel 2.6.11.12 on my computer. Searching through it, I see no reference to iteraid, so I have to assume that this card is not officially supported by the kernel crew. The Makefile says:

KERNEL_SRC = /usr/src/linux-2.6.1
EXTRA_FLAGS += -I.
EXTRA_FLAGS += -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-strict-prototypes
obj-m += iteraid.o
iteraid-obj := iteraid.o
modules:
$(MAKE) -C $(KERNEL_SRC) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules
clean:
rm -rf iteraid.o iteraid.ko iteraid.mod.o iteraid.mod.c *~

I changed the first line to /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.12, and typed make. Lots or error messages scrolled by, and the make process failed. Sorry, alj, but I don't have a clue as to what else to do. You need the help of one of the serious code crunchers on this forum to make this mess work.

alj

it8212f raid card

#3 Post by alj »

Thanks for that Harold. In light of this I will probably look for a supported card so I can get this project up and running. It was intended to be a introduction to Linux so I could start to get my head around it. I wasn't intending on crunching code at this stage.
Cheers and beers

AJ

alj

a posible fix to use the it8212

#4 Post by alj »

Hi Harold,
I have done a bit more searching and found that kernels 2.6.11 and on actually have native support for the it8212 raid card. I have just managed to compile a functional 2.6.13 kernel (it boots at least) based on the configuration file of the Debian 2.6 Sarge installation with the driver for the raid card set to compile as well. Had to fiddle with the configuration a bit to get past a few other unrelated errors but in the end it worked.
I have only one problem now and that is the boot process finds the it8212 first and assigns harddrive letters to it first so of course I had a Kernel panic when the operating system tried to load onto a curently unformated drive instead of what is now hde (instead of in this case hda).
Changing things in Grubs menu.lst got me going but I would like to figure out how to set the drive letters for a more logical fix. Any ideas on this?

Note I used a guide on the following website http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian ... /index.php
and just substituted as neccesary.

Cheers

AJ :D