Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel video display resolution issue

Need help with peripherals or devices?
fguy

Intel video display resolution issue

#1 Post by fguy »

Greetings

I have a Dell Inspiron 5584 laptop with an Intel Graphics 620 video card. I'm running Debian 10.1

The problem is the default screen resolution is way too high for me. When I lower the screen resolution in Control Center, the width of the display shrinks so that there is a large black border on either side.

I have been trying without success to find a way to expand the display to fit the screen. My question, is there a setting in The o/s, or a package to download, which will let me adjust the display dimensions?

Thanks

stevepusser

Re: Intel video display resolution issue

#2 Post by stevepusser »

That GPU requires non-free firmware in firmware-misc-nonfree to function correctly, AFAIK.

It's not installed in the default DFSG-type Debian...do you have it?

Code: Select all

apt policy firmware-misc-nonfree
MX Linux packager and developer

fguy

#3 Post by fguy »

I built my installer from the file debian-live-10.1.0-amd64-mate+nonfree.iso available here https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/, if that tells you anything.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Please post the requested output. Probably best to install the non-free firmware metapackage (if you don't already have it) because your CPU needs µcode as well.
deadbang