Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

bumblebee-nvidia installs latest driver on my legacy hardwar

Need help with peripherals or devices?
travis82

bumblebee-nvidia installs latest driver on my legacy hardwar

#1 Post by travis82 »

Hi

I have a problem with using my Nvidia-optimus based laptop in Buster. I have an Asus k45vm laptop with dual intel 4000/Geforce 630 graphic cards. In previous Debian releases I had no problem regrading Nvidia card using bumblebee-nvidia. But in buster, installing bumblebee-nvidia installs latest Nvidia-418 on my system which needs Nvidia-legacy-390 for this graphic card. As a result, primus and optirun don't work and I can't switch between Intel and Nvidia cards.
Is it possible to force bumblebee-nvidia to install and configure nvidia-legacy-390 driver?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my english.

stevepusser

Re: bumblebee-nvidia installs latest driver on my legacy har

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What do nvidia-detect and nvidia-legacy-detect say about your video card?

Don't apologize for your English, since it's much better than that of many native speakers!
MX Linux packager and developer

travis82

Re: bumblebee-nvidia installs latest driver on my legacy har

#3 Post by travis82 »

stevepusser wrote:What do nvidia-detect and nvidia-legacy-detect say about your video card?

Don't apologize for your English, since it's much better than that of many native speakers!
I'm not on that system right now, but I'm pretty sure that Nvidia-390 is the right driver for Geforce 630M (https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvid ... 0xx-driver). Note that bumblbee-nvidia installs this driver but also installs Nvidia-driver (currently version 418) and it's dependencies. During the installation a confirmation message appears that tells about incompatibility of the Nvidia driver with the graphic card, If I select No, the installation fails, If I select Yes, installation completes without problem but then optirun moans that it can not load my discrete GPU.

It seems that this issue also affected other distros:
https://discourse.nixos.org/t/nvidia-le ... lebee/3696
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... EAP-issue)

mrkapqa

Re: bumblebee-nvidia installs latest driver on my legacy hardwar

#4 Post by mrkapqa »

ia m having a similar issue with T420 Laptop and NVS 4200m graphics.

Did you find a good solution for use with Debian?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: bumblebee-nvidia installs latest driver on my legacy hardwar

#5 Post by sunrat »

@mrkapqa This topic is nearly 3 years old and appears to be about different hardware. Please start a new topic and give full details of your issue and system.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!