HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

Postby jkeen » 2019-12-15 20:36

I had an old hard drive I was trying to access through a USB adapter. Ive had problems with the adapter on other drives. Usually it was under-powered and wouldnt boot on some HD's. However, this time, it booted up but with the stylus making some loud clicking noises when I tried to access the Documents folder. The file browser just hung up and I had to unplug it. After throwing the faulty adapter in the trash and trying another one that was more reliable, my home folder is now ghosted. All that remains is a file that I can only open in text labeled "home". For whatever reason, its not registering as a folder anymore and I can't access anything. What could I do to restore access to my folder short of recovering everything though photorec.
jkeen

Re: HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

Postby stevepusser » 2019-12-15 20:43

Have you tried running fsck on the drive?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.7, Strawberry 0.6.12, Pale Moon 28.10.0, Xscreensaver 5.44, Krita 4.3.0, Foliate 2.4.0
stevepusser

Re: HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

Postby Dai_trying » 2019-12-15 22:36

^^ I agree, but first off I would create a backup image to an external source, just in case fsck "fixes" something that might prevent the data being recovered by using photorec. Maybe I'm just over cautious but it's what I would do...
Dai_trying

Return to Hardware