Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jkeen

HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

#1 Post by jkeen »

I had an old hard drive I was trying to access through a USB adapter. Ive had problems with the adapter on other drives. Usually it was under-powered and wouldnt boot on some HD's. However, this time, it booted up but with the stylus making some loud clicking noises when I tried to access the Documents folder. The file browser just hung up and I had to unplug it. After throwing the faulty adapter in the trash and trying another one that was more reliable, my home folder is now ghosted. All that remains is a file that I can only open in text labeled "home". For whatever reason, its not registering as a folder anymore and I can't access anything. What could I do to restore access to my folder short of recovering everything though photorec.

stevepusser

Re: HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Have you tried running fsck on the drive?
MX Linux packager and developer

Dai_trying

Re: HD issue: my home folder dissapeared

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

^^ I agree, but first off I would create a backup image to an external source, just in case fsck "fixes" something that might prevent the data being recovered by using photorec. Maybe I'm just over cautious but it's what I would do...