Acer Aspire needs reboot for fan to work

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Acer Aspire needs reboot for fan to work

Postby luiznetto » 2020-01-12 05:22

I have Debian 10 installed on my Acer Aspire 5315. I boot, the fan doesn't work; I reboot, it works perfectly. So I always have to boot twice for the fan to work. In my attempts to solve this problem, I have installed tlp, acpi, thermald, following recommendations from this site:

https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/

but it doesn't work.

While the bootloader is on, the fan is working all right; it is at the exact moment when the bootloader hands over control to the kernel that the fan stops. On the first boot, the kernel fails to turn on the fan; after reboot, then the kernel turns on the fan when it takes over from the bootloader. This is a mystery that I cannot figure out how to solve.

Can anybody please help me? I would be immensely grateful.
luiznetto

Re: Acer Aspire needs reboot for fan to work

Postby pylkko » 2020-01-12 07:48

From what you describe it is possible that the fan does not go on in the first boot because the temperature is low enough that it is not required. If you then reboot and the processor runs through all the booting stuff and the temperature is higher. Are you monitoring the temperature while this is going on? Use psensors (for example), and if the fan never turns on despite you doing cpu intensive stuff, then you have a problem. You might see some kind of messages of error in the logs. Did you check?
pylkko

Postby luiznetto » 2020-01-13 22:34

Yes, I am checking the temperature. I have three ways of checking the temperature. One is
Code: Select all
$ acpi -t

the other is
$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

and the third is
# tlp-stat

whose output is
+++ Temperatures
CPU temp               =    77 [°C]
Fan speed              = (not available)

The last one seems to be the only reliable, because the first two give the same result as the LXDE panel temperature monitor, which remains unchanged at 40 degrees Celsius, no matter how hot the CPU gets, if the fan didn't start at the beginning. When the temperature gets to 77 degrees as above, I reboot because I fear damage to my hardware.
But experience shows me that, if the fan does not start work a few seconds after the kernel takes over from the bootloader, it never works, and I have to reboot or the system will overheat and shut down. If it does start to work a few seconds after the kernel takes over, then it works normally the whole session, and I don't have to worry about it, which usually happens following the second boot. Strange behavior, isn't it?
luiznetto

Postby pylkko » 2020-01-16 07:20

So, did you look at the logs?
pylkko

Return to Hardware