Hard Drive Disappeared After Battery Ran Out (Unbootable)

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Hard Drive Disappeared After Battery Ran Out (Unbootable)

Postby frescotropier » 2020-01-25 19:24

I've been running Debian Testing Bullseye for a few weeks with no issue until the battery ran down on my ThinkPad x200 (librebooted) today. When I plugged it back in to charge, I started the computer up and navigated to the bootloader option to start the installed OS. When I selected that option, however, nothing happened and the screen stayed on that background image of the penguin hugging the gnu until I shut the computer off minutes later. I had a Tails usb handy so I used that to redownload a Debian iso. But when I started the installation, I noticed that my hard drive wasn't even showing up. All I saw was the Debian live usb that I was running. I'm not technically savvy so I don't know if my hard drive is dead or just unrecognized. I also don't understand why this would happen after running out of power. It was only down for two minutes before I restarted it. This one is beyond me. Anyone have an idea what the problem may be?
frescotropier

Re: Hard Drive Disappeared After Battery Ran Out (Unbootable

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-01-25 19:53

Maybe your Libreboot is broken? The X200 is over 10 years old now, refurbished or not. And your motherboard still has binary blobs in the wireless card & hard drive controller so Libreboot does seem to be a bit of a waste of time but that's off-topic for this thread.

Anyway, can you see the drives in dmesg or lsblk if you load up a live ISO image?
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Hard Drive Disappeared After Battery Ran Out (Unbootable

Postby frescotropier » 2020-01-25 21:10

In response to the libreboot thing: Blobs aren't a concern of mine. I got this laptop for free years ago from my brother and I've run many versions of Debian with no issue so I figured just continue using it. I only mentioned it in case it was relevant which , if it's broken like you said it could be, then that's what I was getting at.

lsblk is showing just the usb and loop0. No sign of the hard drive
frescotropier

Return to Hardware