Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Are Batttery Dis/Charge Thresholds any use?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
debbiethekiwi

Are Batttery Dis/Charge Thresholds any use?

#1 Post by debbiethekiwi »

On laptops other than Lenovo? If so, why after all these years does tlp have threshold settings only for Thinkpads? Yes, some people have reported trying it on other brand laptops, but they can't load the Lenovo specific kernel module.

Is there anything for Debian that at least warns the user, if not actully switching charge on/off, at some known threshold. The latest tlp 1.3.1 from buster-backports has the default settings of 75%-80%, with the comment (ThinkPad only)
Solar powered - saving carbon

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Are Batttery Dis/Charge Thresholds any use?

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Are they useful? Short answer: Yes, they will prolong your battery's lifetime.

Long answer: Read this:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php ... _batteries

Charging is almost always managed by hardware, not software, so if you don't have a Thinkpad, you are probably out of luck.

It shouldn't be too hard to write a script that gives you a notification once your battery has reached a certain level, but it seems pointless to me, since the average battery life on a laptop is relatively short and you can't float charge like Thinkpads. The hassle would be greater than the gain, in my humble opinion.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Deb-fan

Re: Are Batttery Dis/Charge Thresholds any use?

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

^ +1 him. :)

Never taken much interest in this area but if someones scripting skills are good enough (mine mostly byte)should be easily done to set up a crontab or systemd timer and do almost anything of this nature. Including switching power profiles or setting adjustments based on system state. Check out things like that one nixer in it provides a script example you could look over. Looked good to me you might play with it. Plus 2 birds, 1 stone ... You also get to play with bash scripts too. Being gnu/Linux would be shocked if there isn't more than a few well polished solutions for something this simple. Seen plenty of battery applets that can be installed independent of which desktop a person's using and have visual indication of charge level, turn color/red when hitting a certain discharge level etc.

Might also consider using conky, it can no doubt easily monitor and display something like battery level or anything else. Conky's ridiculously versatile and be warned can be addictive, once you start playing with conky, you may never stop messing with it.

Edit: Not kidding, that is the nature of conky. Will be like ... PERFECTION! Never before has there been a more appealing, nor useful conky on earth! Then won't be able to help screwing with it some more. People freely share their .conkyrc files etc too. Whole sites dedicated to the thing. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *