Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen & System frozen before GDM (Intel Cherry Trail)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
prog-amateur

Black screen & System frozen before GDM (Intel Cherry Trail)

#1 Post by prog-amateur »

Hi, it must be several months since I can't get Debian 10 started on my tablet. The French Debian forum tried to help me, but it seems difficult to find a solution, so I hope to find one here.

Problem :
After successful graphics installation, I reboot. GRUB appears and boots on Debian 10, then some messages scroll and then: black screen, the system is frozen (no reset possible). So this happens before the login screen.

Hardware :
This is a Xiaomi MiPad 2 tablet, with Intel Atom Cherry Trail X5-Z8500 processor (64-bit CPU & BIOS), 2GB RAM, and 64GB eMMC storage.

Since I can't boot, I have to take a picture. There is a "VGA compatible controller [...] Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 20)" driver supposed to be supported by Debian according to the members of the French forum :

Attempts :
  • - recovery mode: same result
    - nomodeset: same result
    - nomodeset 2: login possible but in console mode
    - a modified kernel for a Surface Pro version Intel Atom X7-Z8700: same result
    - Ubuntu (only for testing) same result, but by adding either nomodeset or i915.modeset=0, you can start the tablet on GNOME (only in X11 session, no Wayland possible)
I should point out that several versions have been tested: Debian 10, sid, non-free firmware, etc.

Hypothesis :
One hypothesis from the French forum is that the i915 graphics module would cause the machine to crash for some unknown reason. What do you think?
Which graphics driver should I install on my tablet?

Thank you very much for your help, and take care with the Covid-19.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Black screen & System frozen before GDM (Intel Cherry Tr

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

prog-amateur wrote:Since I can't boot, I have to take a picture.
If you "can't boot" then how did you arrive at the screen in the picture? :?

Looks to me like you can boot but can't load a graphical desktop, does adding 4 as a kernel command line parameter get you to a console login screen? If so then try installing the firmware-misc-nonfree package.
deadbang

prog-amateur

#3 Post by prog-amateur »

Thank you. Sorry for using excessive language when talking about booting (not easy to translate from french), I hope the rest of my text was clear enough.

When you're talking about adding a 4 to the kernel parameter, should I just add "4" to it (that seems strange to me)? For example as :

Code: Select all

quiet splash 4
Thank you.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

prog-amateur wrote:should I just add "4" to it
Yes, that's right.
deadbang

prog-amateur

#5 Post by prog-amateur »

Parameter 4 gives nothing successful (no graphical login).

I have tested 4 alone see the below error :

Then with nomodeset 4, just for testing (please be informed that "usb 1-1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?" error message are due to my USB hub) :

Please, do you have any idea from where I can investigate ? Thank you very much.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

prog-amateur wrote:Parameter 4 gives nothing successful (no graphical login).
That parameter disables graphical login.

It looks like you can boot to a console (TTY) just fine so install the firmware-misc-nonfree package from there.

EDIT: if you haven't got an internet connection then download the .deb package using another device then transfer that to your Debian box and install it.
deadbang