Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Bullseye with Radeon 5500XT

Need help with peripherals or devices?
hihu

Debian Bullseye with Radeon 5500XT

#1 Post by hihu »

Hello everybody, I bought I new graphic card. A Ati Radeon 5500xt. But after realizing that my Debian stables kernel was outdated to support the new graphic card I upgraded to Debian testing. So far everything is working fine. However, when I'm trying to watch videos in the browser my display get dark for 2 seconds, like it would go to standby.

So I thought maybe the correct firmware is not installed. But I checked I have the amd firmware package (firmware-amd-graphics) installed.

Code: Select all

oot@debian-s0nd:/home/benni# apt search firmware-amd-graphics
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
firmware-amd-graphics/testing,now 20190717-2 all [installed,automatic]
  Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips

This is the graphic card:

Code: Select all

root@debian-s0nd:/home/benni# lspci  -v -s  $(lspci | grep ' VGA ' | cut -d" " -f 1)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 14 [Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M] (rev c5) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Navi 14 [Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M]
	Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 16
	Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
	I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
	Memory at f7900000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
	Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [64] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
	Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [200] Resizable BAR <?>
	Capabilities: [240] Power Budgeting <?>
	Capabilities: [270] Secondary PCI Express
	Capabilities: [2a0] Access Control Services
	Capabilities: [2b0] Address Translation Service (ATS)
	Capabilities: [2c0] Page Request Interface (PRI)
	Capabilities: [2d0] Process Address Space ID (PASID)
	Capabilities: [320] Latency Tolerance Reporting
	Capabilities: [400] Data Link Feature <?>
	Capabilities: [410] Physical Layer 16.0 GT/s <?>
	Capabilities: [440] Lane Margining at the Receiver <?>
	Kernel modules: amdgpu
Is this a known problem with the new cards? Can anyone confirm this issues with display going standby after clicking on video links?
Thank you very much.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian Bullseye with Radeon 5500XT

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

hihu wrote:But after realizing that my Debian stables kernel was outdated to support the new graphic card I upgraded to Debian testing.
Newer kernels are available in the buster-backports repository, no need to use one of the development branches. See my [FAQ] in the HowTo section for instructions.

Anyway the firmware in buster-backports/testing/unstable hasn't been updated since July last year and it doesn't support Navi cards.

Either grab the firmware directly from https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git or use MX Linux's ported Ubuntu firmware package: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/ahs/l/li ... +1_all.deb

This is not the first time I've answered a query about that card on these boards, did you not search before opening this thread?
deadbang

hihu

#3 Post by hihu »

Thank you very much. You are a real genius. It works perfectly now :D

You are definitely right. Usually I use the stable Debian version and I hardly ever had any problems using it. Once there will a new stable version I'm definitely gonna switch to it. :wink:

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Hopefully, Debian will have updated the Bullseye firmware by then!!!!

BTW, it hardly takes genius to answer the question when it's already been asked and answered here many times already, not to take anything away from HOAS. :) I'm the guy that reluctantly had to port over the Ubuntu firmware to MX to solve that problem, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

hihu

#5 Post by hihu »

Thank you very much for the effort :D

Just wanted to say that I'm kind of end user. Using different linux distributions for more than 10 years. But when there is something like "I have to compile the driver by myself" then I'm getting somehow frustrated :(