Debian 10 occasionally freezes after update from Debian 9

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Re: Debian 10 occasionally freezes after update from Debian

Postby melfn » 2020-06-03 13:02

andre@home wrote:I run my full disk images when I sleep... so very efficient wrt time.
For critical systems I've always a complete ready to go disk to replace the problem disk.
Such actions give a lot of rest/confidence in case of a problem.... as if you then have a problem.. and you have to solve that instantaneously ... I wish that person a lot of strength.... while changing my disk maybe takes 5-15 minutes at max. Disks are so cheap, when you organize data storage in another way. You "just" have to organize your IT a little bit focused for that route. But you get the reward when you suddenly have a disk problem that can be solved by putting in the spare disk.

I have a full disk backup on another media.

Not getting to the deadlines ... may much more expensive if you keep on crumbling forward...

I don't understand what do you mean.

What laptop (with type name/nr) do you have?

Succes with your challenges.

Please find this information in the hardware report in the very first topic.
melfn

Postby andre@home » 2020-06-03 17:28

Sorry about missing the tech specs that you already posted in #1.

Dell Inspiron 13-7359 (06FD): Compared to the Latitude or Precision the Inspirons are still nice machines, but much less flexible than the others.
So you likely do not have the option to have a 2nd HD permanently in another bay. Inspirons are built more to be a consumer laptop not a professional type.
Of course with your budget you may already be very glad with what you have now.

Still it is pretty easy to change the hard disk with a cheap extra HD, which gives you still the option to find out installing the newest Debian and see if it works as you like.
In this way you avoid the risk of loosing the installation which is on your current disk.

I consider this as a far beter option then taking the risk thats involves also an unpredictable loss of time, to continue with your current system and stubble forwards to some solution with that.
So far you did not show a solid plan to realize that based on all the input given.

In my proposal you at least separate testing the new installation from the problems you have on your original system/disk.
As your original disk is your production system.... and it is called on the forum a > frankendebian or simply a broken system.
In my position I would not sleep very well with that status.

Separation of problem and the route for a solution would be my choice.
As:
Never do experiments to go for a solution on your production laptop....

Or is the cost of a buying a 1 TB hard disk starting at ~ 45 euros, 2 TB starting at ~ 65 euros a problem? An SSD is somewhat more expensive.
andre@home

Postby melfn » 2020-06-04 08:10

andre@home wrote:Sorry about missing the tech specs that you already posted in #1.

no problem

Dell Inspiron 13-7359 (06FD): Compared to the Latitude or Precision the Inspirons are still nice machines, but much less flexible than the others.
So you likely do not have the option to have a 2nd HD permanently in another bay. Inspirons are built more to be a consumer laptop not a professional type.
Of course with your budget you may already be very glad with what you have now.

As I told before the hardware is a given, I can't afford/don't want to buy a new laptop now.

Still it is pretty easy to change the hard disk with a cheap extra HD, which gives you still the option to find out installing the newest Debian and see if it works as you like.
In this way you avoid the risk of loosing the installation which is on your current disk.
I consider this as a far beter option then taking the risk thats involves also an unpredictable loss of time, to continue with your current system and stubble forwards to some solution with that.

I can't open my pc. I mean: I'm not able to and also I don't want to.

So far you did not show a solid plan to realize that based on all the input given.

So far my plan is: I'll update the kernel when it is possible (definitely not now). If it does work maybe I'll do a fresh install.

In my proposal you at least separate testing the new installation from the problems you have on your original system/disk.
As your original disk is your production system.... and it is called on the forum a > frankendebian or simply a broken system.
In my position I would not sleep very well with that status.

Separation of problem and the route for a solution would be my choice.
As:
Never do experiments to go for a solution on your production laptop....

Or is the cost of a buying a 1 TB hard disk starting at ~ 45 euros, 2 TB starting at ~ 65 euros a problem? An SSD is somewhat more expensive.

I've never heard of production laptops before. Relax, it's just a laptop (not a server nor a commodity machine...).
melfn

Postby andre@home » 2020-06-04 10:25

melfn wrote:I've never heard of production laptops before. Relax, it's just a laptop (not a server nor a commodity machine...).

Here you state:
melfn wrote:A lot of effort actually.
It took me three evenings to install Debian on this laptop (see the previous posts) and there is no guarantee that the system will work with the new setting. Also in this period I have deadlines and other stuff so I cannot take the risk of making a fresh install now.

I would say... this sounds normally ... typically... like a production laptop...maybe you have another name for it, that's OK but does not change this situation. As... "Whats in a name..."....

Sorry I stop following you, this goes nowhere....
Good luck with solving your frankendebian/ broken system problems.
andre@home

Postby melfn » 2020-06-04 14:48

andre@home wrote:
melfn wrote:I've never heard of production laptops before. Relax, it's just a laptop (not a server nor a commodity machine...).

Here you state:
melfn wrote:A lot of effort actually.
It took me three evenings to install Debian on this laptop (see the previous posts) and there is no guarantee that the system will work with the new setting. Also in this period I have deadlines and other stuff so I cannot take the risk of making a fresh install now.

I would say... this sounds normally ... typically... like a production laptop...maybe you have another name for it, that's OK but does not change this situation. As... "Whats in a name..."....

That's because this is the laptop I use for working and I cannot take the risk of not having it available for three days in case the upgrade/fresh install fails.
Now it is broken (in some sense) but at least it works.

Sorry I stop following you, this goes nowhere....
Good luck with solving your frankendebian/ broken system problems.

No problem.
melfn

Postby andre@home » 2020-06-04 15:16

melfn wrote:
andre@home wrote:

That's because this is the laptop I use for working and I cannot take the risk of not having it available for three days in case the upgrade/fresh install fails.
The confirmation .... for working.." means a production laptop... indeed whats in a name....;)
andre@home

Postby melfn » 2020-07-20 10:26

I finally updated the kernel by installing the `linux-image-amd64` package. Now I have an up-to-date machine and the computer no longer freezes when I resize the terminal window by dragging and dropping the bottom-right corner.

Sometimes it still randomly freezes but much less frequently: say once a week while before it happened once a day. I suspect most of the crashes happen when I have lots of programs opened but I have not identified a more precise cause yet. I will let you know if I discover more about this issue.

Thank you very much for your time (and for your patience :) thus far.
melfn

Previous

Return to Hardware