Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Any way to control an undetected fan?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
efdevse

Re: Any way to control an undetected fan?

#16 Post by efdevse »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:A relatively simple solution would be to inject PWM signal from a separate generator (f.e. build on NE555 chip), but in the first post You've said that HW modding is not an option - so there's only one option left: You have to get used to it ;)
No, I didn't say it wasn't an option. I asked if it was possible… without hw modding. :–)

I'll look more into this. Thanks for the tip. +1

You mean something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZGAdYAlR3A or do you know some good guides/examples? This one looked kindof interesting to: https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialog ... speed.html

Maybe another idea would be to just make it spin all the time, and add a thermal resistor?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#17 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

First You have to make sure how the fan is controlled, by measuring voltages on the connector:
1. When the fan is stopped, the voltages on particular pins should be: GND=0V, VCC=5V, PWM=0V. (GND can be on +5V level -> not a PWM)
2. When the fan is rotating, the voltage on PWM pin should be close to +5V or +3.3V

If the voltages are different, then most likely the ON-OFF method is used, and not PWM -> in such situation a different solution have to be used.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

pylkko

#18 Post by pylkko »

other tweaks to the the hardware you can do is oil the fan (so it rotates more smoothly) and increase ventilation by making additional holes into the chassis, or on some laptops it helps to remove the battery (if you do not use it). Undervoltage/underclocking helps, but may not be possible on that device. Adding extra cooling (more heatsinks or fans).

efdevse

#19 Post by efdevse »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:First You have to make sure how the fan is controlled, by measuring voltages on the connector:
1. When the fan is stopped, the voltages on particular pins should be: GND=0V, VCC=5V, PWM=0V. (GND can be on +5V level -> not a PWM)
2. When the fan is rotating, the voltage on PWM pin should be close to +5V or +3.3V

If the voltages are different, then most likely the ON-OFF method is used, and not PWM -> in such situation a different solution have to be used.
Thanks! +1 I'll have a good look at this later.
pylkko wrote:other tweaks to the the hardware you can do is oil the fan (so it rotates more smoothly) and increase ventilation by making additional holes into the chassis, or on some laptops it helps to remove the battery (if you do not use it). Undervoltage/underclocking helps, but may not be possible on that device. Adding extra cooling (more heatsinks or fans).
Thanks… Yes, fan is cleaned and a tiny drop of oil. :–) I've made my own mixture/blend from driveshaft grease (it's basically graphite grease, and can stand heat) and thinned it out with oil to get a good thickness. Not sticky, not rinny – so it doesn't dry out in a few months like many other products do.

Unfortunately the BIOS is really stripped down. No options for CPU &/or fans. There are options though in TLP to set it to like 1.67 instead of 2GHz. I might play around with that later. Haven't used that program before much. Normally I don't use laptops that much. Prefer desktop computers. :–)

efdevse

#20 Post by efdevse »

efdevse wrote:Here's a pic if that helps:
Made a better picture now, to show all the areas inside, and that i/o chip.

Left the lid on the side so you can see the intakes, and loosened the Wi-Fi card to expose the i/o chipset. Thats the one who gets really hot - that makes it hot on the top side (the red marked area).

The i/o chip is this one: Intel 82801GBM. In the middle of the page there is this spec: “CASE 99°C-108°C” Clicking the ? mark says: “Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).”

Wonder if it wouldn't be best to try to get a half-sized SSD and put a small fan there instead, pointing toward that chip?

The blue recatangle is an RJ11 on the side. Maybe that hole can be used for a potentiometer (fan speed knob).

One thing that is kind of disturbing with the design, is between the CPU/RAM area, and the Wi-Fi/disk area… there's like a wall which prevents the air to move around better. Well, it's a part of the chassi (stability) so I won't do anything to that one.

Anyway… That's how it looks inside.

arzgi

#21 Post by arzgi »

efdevse wrote:
One thing that is kind of disturbing with the design, is between the CPU/RAM area, and the Wi-Fi/disk area… there's like a wall which prevents the air to move around better. Well, it's a part of the chassi (stability) so I won't do anything to that one.
Heat pipes would work in that case.