Reinstall Wired Network and more ...

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Re: Reinstall Wired Network and more ...

Postby bkpsusmitaa » 2020-07-20 17:11

p.H wrote:"source-directory" and "source" statements present in /etc/network/interfaces and recursively any sourced file.
Didn't understand, as I thought about this line you wrote.
I shall state what I understood. I see that the /etc/network has the following directories and files:
/etc/network/
├── if-down.d
│   ├── avahi-autoipd
│   ├── resolvconf
│   ├── upstart
│   └── wpasupplicant -> ../../wpa_supplicant/ifupdown.sh
├── if-post-down.d
│   ├── avahi-daemon -> ../if-up.d/avahi-daemon
│   ├── wireless-tools
├── if-pre-up.d
│   ├── wireless-tools
├── if-up.d
│   ├── 000resolvconf
│   ├── avahi-autoipd
│   ├── avahi-daemon
│   ├── upstart
├── interfaces
└── interfaces.d
..... └── setup

5 directories, 16 files

The etc/network/interfaces has the line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* But where is the source-directory line?

The working portion of the /etc/network/interfaces file:
Code: Select all
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
# auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

So do I need to uncomment the auto lo line also?

Further, the interfaces.d/* directory has only one file, which is setup. The file contains the following lines:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

In Knoppix there is not even the file setup, as it is already pre-configured.

So my query: what is the role of this file, setup, in an already set up and running system and networking?
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2020-07-22 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home
bkpsusmitaa

Re: Re-install Wired Network and more ...

Postby p.H » 2020-07-21 07:09

bkpsusmitaa wrote:The etc/network/interfaces has the line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* But where is the source-directory line?

It may be present in /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file. But it is not present in your /etc/network/interfaces so just ignore it.

bkpsusmitaa wrote:
# The loopback network interface
# auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

You should not configure the loopback interface and not make it auto at the same time. Either do not configure it at all (and use ifupdown internal configuration) or configure it and make it auto.

bkpsusmitaa wrote:what is the role of this file, setup, in an already set up and running system and networking?

It has the same role as /etc/network/interfaces, as it is sourced by the "source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*" statement.
I do not know what created it, I read reports like yours but I have never seen it on any of my installations of Debian.
Just remove that file and restart network-manager.
p.H

Re: Reinstall Wired Network and more ...

Postby bkpsusmitaa » 2020-07-21 07:48

Good news first.
I rebooted the Lenovo desktop without the LAN cable jack and the wlan0 network booted up nicely. So let us now leave Lenovo aside for a while.

p.H wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:The etc/network/interfaces has the line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* But where is the source-directory line?

It may be present in /etc/network/interfaces and any sourced file. But it is not present in your /etc/network/interfaces so just ignore it.
Okay. Shall ignore.

p.H wrote:You should not configure the loopback interface and not make it auto at the same time. Either do not configure it at all (and use ifupdown internal configuration) or configure it and make it auto.
Didn't understand the idea, Where am I configuring the loopback interface? Could you please illustrate the part
p.H wrote:You should not configure the loopback interface ...
with code please?

p.H wrote:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:what is the role of this file, setup, in an already set up and running system and networking?

It has the same role as /etc/network/interfaces, as it is sourced by the "source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*" statement.
I do not know what created it, I read reports like yours but I have never seen it on any of my installations of Debian.
Just remove that file and restart network-manager.
Shall forget about the file.

Now we shall shift our focus back to HP wlan0. And make it functional gradually over next few days.

So let us shift our attention temporarily to [but let us not post there] the following Post where I have already taken a comparative list of outputs for relevant codes in both Knoppix and Debian:
Some issues with HP laptop, Broadcom Wireless chip BCM431*

I find that there is a problem in Debian with the output from the code:
#  dmesg | grep -e "IPv6"
whereas the said output from the same code is very simple in Knoppix 8.6.1. Could this be the cause of some problem?

I read the section: 5.6.7. The wireless LAN interface with WPA/WPA2. I have checked Knoppix set up, but there is no such entries on /etc/network/interfaces. In fact, Knoppix entry on the file, /etc/network/interfaces is simpler than that of Debian. Just the following lines:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Furthernore, the wpagui in Knoppix is also as invalid as it is in Debian.

I also tried
#  sudo wpa_supplicant -B -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Failed to open config file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf', error: No such file or directory
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

There are a lot of files available, including wpa_supplicant.conf.gz, /media/sda7/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples and /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.modes.gz, but I don't think that i have the ability to comprehend these help files. I also have reasons to believe that these files aren't required, since Knoppix is simple enough.

So please advise.

Later:
I believe that I have found a direction to a solution.

The help file of network-admin shows four tabs. They are as follows:
Connections
Shows all network interfaces, it also allows you to modify their settings.
General
Allows you to modify your system host name and domain name.
DNS
Contains two sections, the DNS servers are what your computer use for resolving the IP addresses from the domain names. The search domains are the default domains in which your system will search any host when no domain is specified.
Hosts
Shows the list of aliases for accessing other computers.

While my installation of network-manager has only three tabs. Except Connections. This is one identification of a problem.

I have installed three packages of Network Manager.
They are as follows: network-manager, network-manager-gnome, and network-manager-config-connectivity-debian

I write on the root terminal, nm-connection-editor. and on the window opened, I set up the wifi for my wifi device and post the password for the wifi device.

What I figured out is that the nm-applet is working in user mode, not in administrative mode. When it is run it asks for password and when posted, it creates a duplicate of the same wifi connection, with the digit 1 appended with the connection name. However, somehow, this user-level nm-applet can't access the connection. Nor can the nm-applet, opened through root terminal.

So here lies the problems.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home
bkpsusmitaa

Previous

Return to Hardware