Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How To Hot Swap [Solved]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
KitchM

How To Hot Swap [Solved]

#1 Post by KitchM »

Since the motherboard and SATA drives support hot swapping, I assume that Debian does. However, I cannot find a utility, or preferably a GUI, to manage that function. Does anyone know anything about this subject?

Thanks.
Last edited by KitchM on 2020-07-03 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: How To Hot Swap

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Of course, Hot-Swapping is supported - but there may be issues specific to a particular situations -> can You tell something about what You want to achieve?

-----------------------------------
~8 months ago I've replaced *ALL* the HDDs in my server, without rebooting the system, thanks to mdadm :D (sorry, no GUI ;) )
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Not all contollers support it, most do and it's enabled in the bios.

Simply umount the drive and power it off. Certain utilities can work on an unmounted drive, so pay attention. Otherwise power on/off simple.

KitchM

#4 Post by KitchM »

So the motherboard, drive and OS support it. Great.

So let's say I take an empty 5.25" drive bay on my mini-tower and install a device that holds a couple 2.5" drives and a 3.5" drive. I see the drive in Disks or in my file manager and right-click one of them to unmount it. Then I eject it.

Is that about it?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

Yep.
How it works is DE specific I suppose and I don't use the file manager, your choice.

On this machine here I have the OS on a SCU/SAS secondary controller which does not support hot swap, and the 6 standard sata that do all have docks in 2 5-1/4 bays, 5 2.5" and one 3.5". Very convenient from the outside. It's a lot of cabling.

KitchM

Re: How To Hot Swap [Solved]

#6 Post by KitchM »

Thanks.

Probably no specific GUI needed for this function because of the existing way drives are already handled.