Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[unsolvable] Need recommendation new tower case computer for

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Caitlin

[unsolvable] Need recommendation new tower case computer for

#1 Post by Caitlin »

My tower case computer, the Blackbird, is on its last legs. Its time to get a new one, and I would like a recommendation.

Debian is, of course, my primary operating system; but I would like to set up a dual-boot with Windows 7. I realize it's getting more and more difficult to find a computer that can run Windows 7, but I'm hoping for the best. (Windows 10 is NOT an option.) On the Windows 7 side, I only need the basics: keyboard, monitor, mouse, sound, and network; I don't care if it can't access extravagances like Bluetooth.

I'm looking for a medium to upper-medium scale tower case machine, one that will "just work". I'm planning to buy this over the internet.

Any recommendations?

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2020-07-20 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Need recommendation new tower case computer for Deb 10 &

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

There's a problem with W7: it supports Intel CPUs up to gen. 6, and I don't know if it supports any newer AMD CPUs - probably not, because the support for W7 has ended in 2014.

If You need only basic functionality of W7, then probably KVM is an option for You - otherwise it will be hard to impossible to find any hardware that still works with W7
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

bjb

#3 Post by bjb »

don't know abut tower cases, mine usually last for a long time (5~10) years;
re Win7, i'm running it in VirtualBox with no problems (assuming you need it for personal use) - much nicer than dual boot

Caitlin

#4 Post by Caitlin »

I guess I'll just have to go with a Debian-only tower case machine with Virtual Box or KVM for Windows 7. Or maybe I'll just use my laptop for Windows 7.

There's too much software out there that works all right in Windows but not in Linux.

I'm continuing this thread in http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146763 .

Caitlin