Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PL2303HX worked in Debian, but now I have another doubt

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Carlossi

PL2303HX worked in Debian, but now I have another doubt

#1 Post by Carlossi »

Hi!

Oh Joy! Oh Glory! :D :D :D :D :D

We were able to use PL2303 HX under Debian (actually my friend that now more of LINUX than me), To do so we do the following steps:

1) We compare the PL2303.c from the Debian Kernel with the PL2303.c from the Red Hat driver provided by Prolific.

2) We copy the changes relatad to HX to Debian PL2303.c

(we do not copy the entire file because we notice that the Debian PL2303.c has a version number superior than the Prolific PL2303.c and there was changes in it, by the way the kernel in question is 2.4.27)

3) We recompile the PL2303.c and generate a new PL2303.o

4) We copy the new PL2303.o over the old (that was properly copied and saved in case the things failed) and load the driver manually.

5) Tested the program we developed that talked to the old PL2303 and that stop to work, with the equipment that use the new chip PL2303HX.

Voila!!! we were talking to the device thru the vitual COM Port.

I place this explanation to the people that have any similar problem.

But now the question of this topic.

After we recompile and exchange the PL2303.o it stoped to be automatically loaded with the kernel during the Boot, and we need to load the driver manually at each new execution.

Does any one can tell me how to register the new PL2303.o so it can be loaded automatically again?

Again thanks for any help.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

ls -l /sbin/*mod* will list the utilities which control and configure modules. Do man <filename> to get info on each utility. If you want to print the manpages (much easier to read!) then do man -t <filename> | lpr.

dawgie

Re: PL2303HX worked in Debian, but now I have another doubt

#3 Post by dawgie »

Carlossi wrote:
After we recompile and exchange the PL2303.o it stoped to be automatically loaded with the kernel during the Boot, and we need to load the driver manually at each new execution.

Does any one can tell me how to register the new PL2303.o so it can be loaded automatically again?

Again thanks for any help.
You can edit your /etc/modules file and add the name of the module.