[Solved]No graphics acceleration for 10th gen i5 Comet Lake.

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

[Solved]No graphics acceleration for 10th gen i5 Comet Lake.

Postby BobPeters61 » 2020-07-11 20:41

I just "upgraded" my 4 y.o. Z97 and 4th gen i5 build to a new Z490 motherboard and 10th gen i5 Comet Lake.

Reinstalled Buster, with firmware packages for both my wifi card and the board's ethernet port added at start of install. and at first the grub showed at my monitor's 1080p resolution, but the text that runs down the screen during bootup was at a low res. Cinnamon desktop opened up to a note that I have no video hardware acceleration. And MP4 playback on Totem is all herky-jerky.

Between this forum and various assorted searches on startpage and duckduckgo regarding the matter, I got the suggestion of opencl for support of Intel UHD Graphics 630, and of linux kernel 5.3.x (or higher?)

When I added Unstable to Apt SourcesList, I started seeing an intel-opencl-icd package in synaptic, but I can't install it for "broken packages." Trying with Apt instead of Synaptic got me this:

Code: Select all
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 intel-opencl-icd : Depends: libigc1 (>= 1.0.3627) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libigdfcl1 (>= 1.0.3627) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

After learning how to add Buster-Backports to the list and search apt, I found no linux kernel 5.3.x, but a 5.5.x on Buster-Backports, with which the bootup text returned to higher res, but I still have no hardware acceleration.
Same thing after upgrading to 5.7.0-1-amd64 from Unstable. But at least now it recognizes my monitor for its actual model rather than calling it a laptop screen on my ATX tower.

This didn't change:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel driver: N/A
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: vesa unloaded: fbdev,modesetting
  resolution: 1920x1080~N/A
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 256 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.6

Of course Intel support pages have nothing for Linux on their stuff and Windows is off the table.

I'm hoping someone can direct me to something I'm missing before I give up, slap in a cheap Radeon card and make a mental note to make my next rebuild an AMD system instead of Intel over this issue.

Thanks.
Last edited by BobPeters61 on 2020-07-21 10:26, edited 3 times in total.
BobPeters61

Re: No graphics acceleration for 10th gen i5 Comet Lake.

Postby stevepusser » 2020-07-12 05:42

Tenth gen also needs a newer Mesa video stack, which has not been backported to Buster by Debian. We did it for MX Linux's AHS edition, and it does work fine there, but if you want it in Debian, you'll have to use testing or Sid. Mixing those repos with stable is going to blow up on you pretty soon, if you haven't broken your system already.

Debian hasn't updated the firmware that new AMD cards use for a year, though. For the AHS repo, I had to resort to porting over the Ubuntu "linux-firmware" package to get support for new AMD GPUs.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: LibreOffice 7.0.0, QMPlay2 20.07.04, Pale Moon 28.12.0, KeepassXC 2.6.0, Arqiver 0.6.0+git, Foliate 2.4.2
stevepusser

Postby BobPeters61 » 2020-07-15 00:38

stevepusser wrote:Tenth gen also needs a newer Mesa video stack, which has not been backported to Buster by Debian. We did it for MX Linux's AHS edition, and it does work fine there, but if you want it in Debian, you'll have to use testing or Sid.

Thanks. I tried out MX AHS-64 and found it didn't have problems I mentioned with my video hardware, but something about MX just doesn't appeal to me personally. However, I just installed Bullseye Alpha2 and that also now runs for me without the symptoms I mentioned for Buster so far, and feels like Debian to me.

Mixing those repos with stable is going to blow up on you pretty soon, if you haven't broken your system already.

Yeah, I was concerned about that trying out the unstable kernel on stable. I was grasping at straws by that point.

When I first added the unstable repo, it was from following some very friendly instructions from a web search on getting the latest Firefox in Debian instead of that outdated ESR version with which it installs. When adding the "deb http://... line for it to /etc/apt/sources.list it never mentioned the "deb-src http://... line so I didn't add it, but also the same instructions also called for writing in a new file /etc/apt/preferences.d/99pin-unstable with the following contents:

Package:  *
Pin:  release a=stable
Pin-Priority:  900

Package:  *
Pin:  release a=unstable
Pin-Priority:  10

Which is supposed to make just installing something take it from the stable repo and only install from unstable with:

$ sudo apt install -t unstable firefox

Worked to get the version from my profile with all my bookmarks, preferences, saved logins etc.

And since I'm on the testing version now, I substituted the word "testing" for "stable" in that 99pin file.

Debian hasn't updated the firmware that new AMD cards use for a year, though. For the AHS repo, I had to resort to porting over the Ubuntu "linux-firmware" package to get support for new AMD GPUs.

Yeah, the thought there was a cheap and probably outdated one to use until Buster catches up to 10th Gen support.

I actually have a Radeon X 1300 card on its way through shipping from a NewEgg Marketplace seller, but I don't know how good, cheap or outdated that may or may not be as for the past 4 years I've been using my old 4th Gen i5 build's Intel HD Graphics 4600.

As well as that old had been doing on Ubuntu, Mint or just vanilla Debian Buster I was surprised to have issues with it on a hardware upgrade.

Thanks for the response.
BobPeters61

Postby stevepusser » 2020-07-15 03:26

Yeah, the thought there was a cheap and probably outdated one to use until Buster catches up to 10th Gen support.

Though there were Mesa backports in stretch-backports, there have been none so far for Buster, for some reason. Buster may never get official backports for it, though they are possible--MX AHS is up to Mesa 20.1.2 presently. Star Labs is going to have some tenth=gen laptops with an option to have MX AHS preinstalled, so we know it works. :D

I have a repo where I was trying some Mesa backports on the openSUSE build service, along with other kernel and video driver backports, but Mesa wouldn't see my llvm-10 backports, which is probably best for features in it, though it can build on older llvm versions. Maybe it I try the latest llvm-10 in the repos now...I'll try that in a day or so. Currently the Mesa backport in it is 19.2.6: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... ort-buster
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: LibreOffice 7.0.0, QMPlay2 20.07.04, Pale Moon 28.12.0, KeepassXC 2.6.0, Arqiver 0.6.0+git, Foliate 2.4.2
stevepusser

Return to Hardware