Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Touchpad, Xorg and Tapping on Buster with libinput.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Coline

Touchpad, Xorg and Tapping on Buster with libinput.

#1 Post by Coline »

Hello, :)

On a laptop with a synaptics touchpad, I can't use libinput properly and got some problems with synaptics when using it (no palm detection even the option enabled, some resumes crash...)

With libinput, everything works fine, except that the configuration file (/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf) isn't working. I can add whatever I want in this file, the system seems not using it. By the way, when I use synaptics, the option are working.

For example, in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf :
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection

The Option "Tapping" "on" isn't working (I added it).

But the "Option "TapButton1=1" "1" in the ...70-synaptics.conf is working.

I don't use the two files at the same time, I don't use the two drivers together neither.

I don't understand why I can't configure libinput. By the way, I can make changes with xinput (and libinput) : the changes work...

Thank you for your help ! :)

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Touchpad, Xorg and Tapping on Buster with libinput.

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Coline wrote:On a laptop with a synaptics touchpad, I can't use libinput properly and got some problems with synaptics when using it (no palm detection even the option enabled, some resumes crash...)
I've never been able to configure tapping in libinput with synaptics touchpads - strange errors, and sometimes even LightDM crashes.

This is what works:
1. install the synaptic driver package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
2. open the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf and edit the section "touchpad catchall" like this:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad catchall"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    Option "TapButton3" "1"
EndSection
I hope that it will also work for You ;)

In the synaptics driver documetation You can check how those tapping modes work.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Coline

#3 Post by Coline »

I've never been able to configure tapping in libinput with synaptics touchpads - strange errors, and sometimes even LightDM crashes.
Ok ! So, I'm probably not (entirely) the problem. :D

The problem with the synaptic driver is the palm detection (it doesn't work at all) (and maybe some crashes when waking up from suspend mode)...

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Coline wrote:The problem with the synaptic driver is the palm detection
According to the driver documentation, palm detection depends on touchpad model. Besides there are some "tunning" options, like f.e. PalmMinZ.

Synaptic driver never crashed on my systems, but f.e. on Debian9 libinput crashed in 100% of cases with tapping enabled ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Coline wrote:/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
Read the comments at the top of that file and follow the instructions.

Enabling the "Tapping" option works fine for me but you can also use xinput(1) to set the options for the touchpad.

For example:

Code: Select all

xinput set-prop 12 282 1
^ Put that in ~/.xsessionrc (mutatis mutandis).
deadbang

eriefisher

#6 Post by eriefisher »

I have been using libinput for some time now and never had an issue. Mine is an Elan though. One thing I do want to mention is, in my bios there is a setting for the touchpad, basic and advanced I believe. With the basic setting I lose some of the functionality like 2-finger scroll so I keep it at advanced. Other than that everything is working as expected, scrolling, tap and off while typing. Maybe you have something similar?
Xfce4 4.14

Coline

#7 Post by Coline »

According to the driver documentation, palm detection depends on touchpad model. Besides there are some "tunning" options, like f.e. PalmMinZ
Hi ! I tried a lot of configurations but the PalmDetect never works.
Enabling the "Tapping" option works fine for me but you can also use xinput(1) to set the options for the touchpad.
I think I'm going to do that but I don't understand why my xorg.conf file isn't working.
I have been using libinput for some time now and never had an issue. Mine is an Elan though. One thing I do want to mention is, in my bios there is a setting for the touchpad, basic and advanced I believe. With the basic setting I lose some of the functionality like 2-finger scroll so I keep it at advanced. Other than that everything is working as expected, scrolling, tap and off while typing. Maybe you have something similar?
Thanks for the suggestion ! It's pretty clever ! But I have no options linked to the touchpad in the BIOS settings.

Sometimes, when I resume from suspend, the keyboard isn't working for nearly 15 seconds...