I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby JordanPlayz158 » 2020-07-17 03:58

I have a Biostar N68S3+ Motherboard with the Realtek RTL8201CL Lan chip and whenever I try to use the onboard Ethernet port, it works for a couple minutes then turns off and then on for a couple minutes then goes off.. and I have yet to find a driver or posts about this chip for lan. So if anyone has any clue why this might be happening or have a driver for this lan chip that would be much appreciated!
JordanPlayz158
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2020-07-17 03:49

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby ruwolf » 2020-07-17 23:20

What do you get from e.g. ethtool, which query/control network driver and hardware settings?
User avatar
ruwolf
 
Posts: 429
Joined: 2008-02-18 05:04
Location: Slovakia, Banovce nad Bebravou, Matice slovenskej 1260/4-7

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby JordanPlayz158 » 2020-07-18 16:17

When I run "ethtool enp0s7" (The interface my built-in ethernet controller is on, rn I'm using usb to ethernet adapter to get smooth internet without cut outs but i'd like to stop using the adapter) the output is
Code: Select all
Settings for enp0s7:
   Supported ports: [ MII ]
   Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                           100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
   Supported pause frame use: No
   Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
   Supported FEC modes: Not reported
   Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                           100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
   Advertised pause frame use: No
   Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
   Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
   Speed: Unknown!
   Duplex: Unknown! (255)
   Port: MII
   PHYAD: 1
   Transceiver: internal
   Auto-negotiation: on
   Supports Wake-on: g
   Wake-on: d
   Link detected: no

This is with nothing connected, do you want me to do it when an ethernet cable is attached to it?
JordanPlayz158
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2020-07-17 03:49

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby ruwolf » 2020-07-18 17:51

Yes, with cable.
And if it differs when it is on and seems to be off...
User avatar
ruwolf
 
Posts: 429
Joined: 2008-02-18 05:04
Location: Slovakia, Banovce nad Bebravou, Matice slovenskej 1260/4-7

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby JordanPlayz158 » 2020-07-20 15:21

Ok, so the issue is, whenever I try to do anything that requires internet such as a simple low bandwidth thing like sshing into the machine it will work but if I do something like ifconfig with a lot of lines of text it will stop working and resets the connection to the router i.e Orange Light for around 20 seconds and then Green Light until I do something that transmit a couple lines of data but I was able to get the output of ethtool with the cable connected!
Code: Select all
Settings for enp0s7:
   Supported ports: [ MII ]
   Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                           100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                           1000baseT/Full
   Supported pause frame use: No
   Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
   Supported FEC modes: Not reported
   Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                           100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
   Advertised pause frame use: No
   Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
   Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
   Speed: 10Mb/s
   Duplex: Full
   Port: MII
   PHYAD: 1
   Transceiver: internal
   Auto-negotiation: on
   Supports Wake-on: g
   Wake-on: d
   Link detected: yes
JordanPlayz158
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2020-07-17 03:49

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-07-20 15:52

JordanPlayz158 wrote:Ok, so the issue is, whenever I try to do anything that requires internet such as a simple low bandwidth thing like sshing into the machine it will work but if I do something like ifconfig with a lot of lines of text it will stop working and resets the connection to the router i.e Orange Light for around 20 seconds and then Green Light until I do something that transmit a couple lines of data but I was able to get the output of ethtool with the cable connected!
Code: Select all
...
   Speed: 10Mb/s
...
   Auto-negotiation: on

Check/replace the cable first - it looks like it can be damaged.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69
 
Posts: 395
Joined: 2020-05-03 14:16

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby JordanPlayz158 » 2020-07-20 16:32

Do you really think it's the cable? because the cable works perfectly fine with the adapter and I highly doubt an adapter could fix a broken cable
JordanPlayz158
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2020-07-17 03:49

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-07-20 17:15

Yes, I think that there's 98% probability for broken cable, 1% for damaged insulating transformer behind the RJ45 socket in the eth card(*) and 1% for other possibilities.

(*) this is quite common damage caused by sudden power grid outages or by storms.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69
 
Posts: 395
Joined: 2020-05-03 14:16

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby JordanPlayz158 » 2020-07-20 17:33

Ok I will switch it out with another cable and tell you how it goes!

EDIT: Tried it with new cable, same exact issue as the other cable, but as I said in the first post I believe it's because there seems to be no official driver for the RTL8201CL ethernet chip
JordanPlayz158
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2020-07-17 03:49

Re: I am having Ethernet problems with the Realtek RTL8201CL

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-07-20 17:57

OK so the most obvious possibility can be excluded.

You can try disabling auto-negotiation and set the speed manually, using ethtool with autoneg and speed options.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69
 
Posts: 395
Joined: 2020-05-03 14:16


Return to Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

fashionable