Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia graphics card - nouveau or the proprietary driver?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Naron

Nvidia graphics card - nouveau or the proprietary driver?

#1 Post by Naron »

I have an older system which has a Nvidia GT 640 card and I want to install Debian 10 on it. I'm in doubt on what driver to choose for the GPU: nouveau vs binary Nvidia.

I would like to have some performance out of this card (I know, it's quite old but good enough for me) and I understand that the binary driver is the most capable in this regard but personally, I like open-source drivers better, simply because they have longer support and security patches (binary drivers are maintained by the manufacturers and they can end the support at any time, I don't like this).

So, simply put, I have to choose between performance vs security and support. Some advice?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Nvidia graphics card - nouveau or the proprietary driver

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

GF640 is a Kepler card, codename NVE0, and the Nouveau support for this card is nearly perfect, see this:
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

I have GF750 (same family) and with re-clocking enabled, the Nouveau easily outperforms nVidia binary drivers, in all aspects:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=146141

So, If You don't afraid to tweak Your system, I would recommend to use open-source driver ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed