Blinking cursor after sleep (nvidia)

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

Blinking cursor after sleep (nvidia)

Postby The_Greek » 2020-09-26 17:18

Hello. I just installed Debian on an old Lenovo R61 laptop. I went with the netinst method and everything was smooth. As my laptop has an nvidia gpu I ran
Code: Select all
nvidia-detect
and I got
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro NVS 140M] [10de:0429] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro NVS 140M] (rev a1)
Your card is only supported up to the 340 legacy drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver
package.

Then I installed the proposed driver. The system runs great but when my screen is powered off after 10 minutes or I close the lid, then when I try to resume I get a black screen with a cursor blinking. If I press Alt+F1 I get a login screen that switches back to black screen with the blinking cursor when I stop pressing the keys... The only solution is to press the power button and then I can see the console killing processes and taking my system down... Any help???

Update: I switched back to nouveau and the problem was gone. I think thought that the nvidia driver offers better results... I will try to install a different driver than the legacy one and report back.

Update 2:
I reinstalled the proposed nvidia driver and the problem appeared again...
Last edited by The_Greek on 2020-09-26 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
The_Greek

Re: Blinking cursor after sleep (nvidia)

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-09-26 18:10

The nvidia-driver package in buster has a version that will support KMS with this kernel parameter:
nvidia-drm.modeset=1

If the driver works with your card then add the nvidia, nvidia_modeset, nvidia_uvm and nvidia_drm modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and update the initramfs to enable an early KMS start:
# update-initramfs -u -k all

But the nouveau driver is pretty good these days (despite the intransigence of those NVIDIA bastards), do you really need the blob?
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Blinking cursor after sleep (nvidia)

Postby The_Greek » 2020-09-26 22:41

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work so I reverted to nouveau. I can't afford loosing any unsaved work for a driver. At least it works fine now.
The_Greek

Return to Hardware