Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Epson XP-6000 scanner backend problem

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bodiless

[SOLVED] Epson XP-6000 scanner backend problem

#1 Post by bodiless »

Hello all,
I recently got an Epson Expression Premiun XP-6000 all-in-one printer but it seem that I can't get to make the scanner work.
The printer is working just fine with the printer-driver-escpr driver.
For the scanner, I downloaded the imagescan-bundle from Epson, which installs just fine.
When I run:

Code: Select all

~$ sane-find-scanner
I get

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x1132) at libusb:001:011
When I run:

~$ scanimage -L
it gives me

device `imagescan:esci:usb:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0' is a EPSON XP-6000_Series
Based on the above I have modified /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf to look like this:

# USB
usb  "EPSON XP-6000_Series"
usb 0x04b8 0x1132
However, when I try xsane or any other frontend like simple scan, the scanner starts (I can hear the scanner working), the lcd screen on the machine displays that the document is being scanned, but nothing ever happens. When I cancel the process, both the scanner and xsace remain unresponsive. I can only get of this situation by hard-powering off the machine. I also figured out that xsane complains about not being able to set the resolution as well as the x-resolution and the y-resolution. Indeed, when xsane opens, the resolution is put at 75dpi but it is greyed out and I can not change it to anything else.

As a test, I tried also vuescan and it works fine. But I would prefer to make it work with xsane.

Any ideas as what else I could try?
Thanks

bodiless

Re: [SOLVED] Epson XP-6000 scanner backend problem

#2 Post by bodiless »

OK, after testing and testing ... at some point I was getting a LIBUSB_ERROR_IO, which alert me that something might be wrong with the usb connection. Epson doesn't provide a usb cable so, initially, I connected the scanner with an old cable I had around. When I changed the cable with a newer one, the problem with the freezing went away. However, xsane still complains about not being able to set the x and y-resolutions which is greyed out at 75dpi for both the x and y-axis. I will open a new thread in the relevant section with this particular problem.