[SOLVED] HDMI audio not working, with a twist.

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

[SOLVED] HDMI audio not working, with a twist.

Postby elfrodo » 2020-09-28 14:50

Hi,

I've read a vast amount of posts regarding hdmi audio issues but not one that seems to replicate the issue I am facing.
Got a more or less clean Debian 10 install with backports enabled and amdgpu firmware driver up and running. Kernel version is 5.7.0.0.bpo.2-amd64.
In the Gnome control panel "sound" tab I can see the hdmi audio device and its state is "plugged". When I try to playback audio via eg VLC the stream shows, the "vu" meter moves but there is silence from the monitor speakers.

The twist is that if I launch Steam and a game using Proton I do get audio, and now I can launch VLC and playback fine. When I quit the game VLC will keep playing but if I close all apps and restart VLC I am back to no output from the speakers.
So my problem is not the device not showing or having a "unplugged" state, it seems to work but does not.

Any suggestions besides reinstalling/restarting pulseaudio/alsa. I am leaning towards some kind of activation happening in the amdgpu driver when its called to duty (launch of proton) and that the channel is kept open until I restart the apps.

Regards,
Elfrodo
Last edited by elfrodo on 2020-09-29 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
elfrodo

Re: HDMI audio not working, with a twist.

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-09-28 15:28

See if anything is recorded in the journal during the switches in behaviour:
Code: Select all
journalctl --follow
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby elfrodo » 2020-09-29 12:32

Hi,

When exiting wine the only audio related message in the logs are "LogAudio:Error: ~FXAudioDeviceProperties: XAudio2->Release() error: Unhandled error code 1"

There is nothing written to the logs when I quit the audio application after shutting down the wine instance.
As long as wine is running I have system sounds and I can play any other media including web based video with audio.

-Elfrodo
elfrodo

Postby elfrodo » 2020-09-29 15:56

Been tinkering a bit more with it this afternoon. With mplayer I am able to playback _some_ mp3/ogg/mkv files but not all.
48000/24000hz files playback fine while 44100/22500hz does not!

Setting the default pulseaudio samplerate to 48000hz seems to have solved the problem.

-Elfrodo
elfrodo

Return to Hardware