Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] HDMI audio not working, with a twist.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
elfrodo

[SOLVED] HDMI audio not working, with a twist.

#1 Post by elfrodo »

Hi,

I've read a vast amount of posts regarding hdmi audio issues but not one that seems to replicate the issue I am facing.
Got a more or less clean Debian 10 install with backports enabled and amdgpu firmware driver up and running. Kernel version is 5.7.0.0.bpo.2-amd64.
In the Gnome control panel "sound" tab I can see the hdmi audio device and its state is "plugged". When I try to playback audio via eg VLC the stream shows, the "vu" meter moves but there is silence from the monitor speakers.

The twist is that if I launch Steam and a game using Proton I do get audio, and now I can launch VLC and playback fine. When I quit the game VLC will keep playing but if I close all apps and restart VLC I am back to no output from the speakers.
So my problem is not the device not showing or having a "unplugged" state, it seems to work but does not.

Any suggestions besides reinstalling/restarting pulseaudio/alsa. I am leaning towards some kind of activation happening in the amdgpu driver when its called to duty (launch of proton) and that the channel is kept open until I restart the apps.

Regards,
Elfrodo
Last edited by elfrodo on 2020-09-29 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: HDMI audio not working, with a twist.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

See if anything is recorded in the journal during the switches in behaviour:

Code: Select all

journalctl --follow
deadbang

elfrodo

#3 Post by elfrodo »

Hi,

When exiting wine the only audio related message in the logs are "LogAudio:Error: ~FXAudioDeviceProperties: XAudio2->Release() error: Unhandled error code 1"

There is nothing written to the logs when I quit the audio application after shutting down the wine instance.
As long as wine is running I have system sounds and I can play any other media including web based video with audio.

-Elfrodo

elfrodo

#4 Post by elfrodo »

Been tinkering a bit more with it this afternoon. With mplayer I am able to playback _some_ mp3/ogg/mkv files but not all.
48000/24000hz files playback fine while 44100/22500hz does not!

Setting the default pulseaudio samplerate to 48000hz seems to have solved the problem.

-Elfrodo