Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Displey doesn't work after Sleep/Hibernation

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Islander

Displey doesn't work after Sleep/Hibernation

#1 Post by Islander »

I have a 12 year old motherboard, ASUS P5E.
When it goes into sleep or hibernation, it can be woken by the soft power button on the computer case, or a PS/2 keyboard.
After waking up, the screen remains blank, but the computer can be accessed via SSH.
If I reboot the computer, the screen sometimes comes to life and I can see Debian's shutdown messages.

The problems with Sleep/Hibernation have occurred with Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Debian, and across 3 different graphics cards.
My motherboard BIOS is upgraded to the latest available version (1201).

Are there any settings in Debian or the BIOS I can use to fix this?

Can I circumvent the problem by resetting the graphics driver manually? Do I have to lose my current logged in session if I do so?

P.S. I've searched the web, and one or two people have mentioned solving the problem by tweaking their BIOS settings, or doing a CMOS reset, but no specifics. I've tweaked my BIOS settings, and reset them to default, with no improvement.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Displey doesn't work after Sleep/Hibernation

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

Islander

#3 Post by Islander »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... er-suspend?

EDIT: and see https://01.org/node/3721 for some debugging techniques.
Thanks, @Head_on_a_Stick, those were good tips, but they didn't solve my problem.

Since this is a 12 year old mother board, I don't expect the kernel power team to spend time debugging it.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Considered a defective monitor ? Was it the same with all of these OS's ... Nix and Win ? Any settings on that monitor you can poke at ? Just assuming it's a desktop, am not going to google your mobo model etc and you said "by hitting button on case". Since this is occuring with many platforms, different distro's and windows versions too, happened with more than one dedi-vidcard am leaning towards a hardware fault, bum AGP (accelerated graphics port) that kind of thing ?

Anyway good luck, I'm as confuzzled as you are OP. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Islander

#5 Post by Islander »

@Deb-fan: Yes, it's a desktop. I currently have two monitors connected to it, and none of them work after sleep/hibernation.

I think it's a design flaw in that specific motherboard model. I'll just endure it until I upgrade my hardware, but it would be nice to have a way around it. Like manually resetting X in some way.