Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 USB port responce lag

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MechDesigner

Debian 10 USB port responce lag

#1 Post by MechDesigner »

I am configuring a Beaglebone black for an embedded application with Debian 10 Buster.

The USB port on the Beaglebone black is not coming up for minutes after boot. Which is not good if it
needs to communicate with another board to initialize and start the instrument.

We have the application running on Debian 7 Wheezy and the USB comes up immediately after boot.

Any ideas on where I should look? I looked at the debug port on boot, but nothing shows up
as a problem.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian 10 USB port responce lag

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MechDesigner wrote:Any ideas on where I should look?
Check the systemd journal. Use systemd-analyze(1) to find which unit files are responsible for the delay.
deadbang

MechDesigner

#3 Post by MechDesigner »

OK...this shows the difference.

Wheezy:

debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3342ms (kernel) + 19434ms (userspace) = 22776ms

Buster:

Startup finished in 10.485s (kernel) + 1min 33.229s (userspace) = 1min 43.714s
graphical.target reached after 1min 32.547s in userspace

MechDesigner

#4 Post by MechDesigner »

Something I've observed while trying things...

Debian 10 mouse ( and I would presume that means the USB port ) is not active until the login screen comes up.

I am configuring the Debian on the BBB to do an autologin. And that's when the long stretch of time goes by
before the mouse is active.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MechDesigner wrote:debian@beaglebone:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 3342ms (kernel) + 19434ms (userspace) = 22776ms

Buster:

Startup finished in 10.485s (kernel) + 1min 33.229s (userspace) = 1min 43.714s
graphical.target reached after 1min 32.547s in userspace
Read the man page and use some options with the command. There are *many* available.

Sorry but I just don't have the energy to spoon-feed you so you're going to have to engage your brain and actually use it.
deadbang

MechDesigner

#6 Post by MechDesigner »

Thanks for your reply....it's no less what I expect from a Linux "professional".

I've had some experience with Linux since I tried it in the 1990's. And Linux hasn't gotten any better.

It's still using command line...and for configuring and general use, it's a nightmare.

I didn't have time to spend a week to get Linux updated on our system. But that's what it took. And I'm
still not to the point of a working system.

Linux is not only being used as a hobby anymore...but in industry. And quite frankly engineers don't have
time to.p play with a toy operating system.

If it was up to me I would dump the linux. And switch to something more user friendly.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MechDesigner wrote:Thanks for your reply....it's no less what I expect from a Linux "professional".
I'm not a Linux [sic] "professional", I work as a despatch rider and do this in my spare time. I have no formal training in IT.
MechDesigner wrote:I've had some experience with Linux since I tried it in the 1990's. And Linux hasn't gotten any better.
I've been using GNU/Linux since October 2013 and it's gotten better since then, IMO.
MechDesigner wrote:It's still using command line...and for configuring and general use, it's a nightmare.
Are you mad? The command line is *much* more efficient than any stupid GUI.
MechDesigner wrote:I didn't have time to spend a week to get Linux updated on our system. But that's what it took. And I'm
still not to the point of a working system.
Okay, now I just feel sorry for you so:

Code: Select all

systemd-analyze blame
systemd-analyze critical-chain
journalctl --unit $unit_file
Replace $unit_file with the actual name of the service causing the delays. *puts away feeding spoon*
deadbang

sgosnell

#8 Post by sgosnell »

This is not an official Debian site, it's just a group of people who use Debian, and out of the goodness of their hearts, try to help others who have problems with Debian. Those who bang their plates because they don't get spoon-fed are generally ignored. OTOH, the Beaglebone is a commercial project, selling hardware which runs a proprietary OS derived from, but not identical to, Debian. They have their own support forums, and the OP should be looking there for help, not here.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.