SDCard reader not working after bullseye upgrade

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

SDCard reader not working after bullseye upgrade

Postby MartinK » 2020-11-05 11:32

A couple of days ago I used the micro SD card reader in my Intel NUC without problem. I performed a routine apt update and upgrade this morning to bullseye, then found the SD card reader did not work, i.e. lsblk and dmesg show no response to insertion of known good SD cards.

It looks like the card reader is in an abnormal state;
Code: Select all
lspci | grep Card
3b:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

I am guessing these relate to Realtek Semiconductor;
lsmod | grep rts
rtsx_pci_sdmmc         32768  0
mmc_core              188416  1 rtsx_pci_sdmmc
rtsx_pci              106496  1 rtsx_pci_sdmmc

Checking /var/log/apt/history.log for this mornings upgrade shows package pci.ids:amd64 (0.0~2020.09.21-1, 0.0~2020.10.25-1)

Could a change in the PCI ID's file cause the SD card reader to break?

I tried;
sudo update-pciids
[sudo] password for martin:
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  262k  100  262k    0     0   628k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  627k
Done.

but this has made no difference I can see.

Can anyone recommend a trouble-shooting method?
MartinK

Re: SDCard reader not working after bullseye upgrade

Postby sgosnell » 2020-11-05 19:42

Things break on Testing, sometimes for a week or more. That should not be a surprise. Testing is for testing packages and reporting bugs, not for daily use. Did you submit a bug report?
Take my advice, I'm not using it.
sgosnell

Postby MartinK » 2020-11-05 20:23

I have not submitted a bug report. I found a kernel bug report which may be relevant but it is not consistent with my experience. As I understand the bug report the SD card reader cannot work in affected Intel NUC's with current kernels. The change in behaviour I see is not associated with a change of kernel.

It may be that the new kernels referred to in the bug report comment 18 resolve the issue but I suspect something else is also going on as I have used the SD card reader many times in the last few months, including writing a Raspberry Pi OS image to card a couple of days ago.

I don't know what utilities like lspci were reporting on my working sd card reader, I never had cause to look previously. I would be pleased to know from anyone with similar experience, e.g. if "Unassigned class [ff00]" indicates a fault.
MartinK

Postby sgosnell » 2020-11-06 01:26

Card readers do fail. I had one go south recently. It just quit being recognized. It was cheap, and I tossed it and used another. I have another that is intermittent. But when I consider that I paid ~$2US for each, I'm not amazed. Even more expensive ones die. SD cards also die. Have you tried a different reader and a different SD card? Until you confirm that it's neither of those, it's hard to guess what else might be at issue.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.
sgosnell

Return to Hardware