Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SDCard reader not working after bullseye upgrade

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MartinK

SDCard reader not working after bullseye upgrade

#1 Post by MartinK »

A couple of days ago I used the micro SD card reader in my Intel NUC without problem. I performed a routine apt update and upgrade this morning to bullseye, then found the SD card reader did not work, i.e. lsblk and dmesg show no response to insertion of known good SD cards.

It looks like the card reader is in an abnormal state;

Code: Select all

lspci | grep Card
3b:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
I am guessing these relate to Realtek Semiconductor;

lsmod | grep rts
rtsx_pci_sdmmc         32768  0
mmc_core              188416  1 rtsx_pci_sdmmc
rtsx_pci              106496  1 rtsx_pci_sdmmc
Checking /var/log/apt/history.log for this mornings upgrade shows package pci.ids:amd64 (0.0~2020.09.21-1, 0.0~2020.10.25-1)

Could a change in the PCI ID's file cause the SD card reader to break?

I tried;

sudo update-pciids
[sudo] password for martin: 
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  262k  100  262k    0     0   628k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  627k
Done.
but this has made no difference I can see.

Can anyone recommend a trouble-shooting method?

sgosnell

Re: SDCard reader not working after bullseye upgrade

#2 Post by sgosnell »

Things break on Testing, sometimes for a week or more. That should not be a surprise. Testing is for testing packages and reporting bugs, not for daily use. Did you submit a bug report?
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

MartinK

#3 Post by MartinK »

I have not submitted a bug report. I found a kernel bug report which may be relevant but it is not consistent with my experience. As I understand the bug report the SD card reader cannot work in affected Intel NUC's with current kernels. The change in behaviour I see is not associated with a change of kernel.

It may be that the new kernels referred to in the bug report comment 18 resolve the issue but I suspect something else is also going on as I have used the SD card reader many times in the last few months, including writing a Raspberry Pi OS image to card a couple of days ago.

I don't know what utilities like lspci were reporting on my working sd card reader, I never had cause to look previously. I would be pleased to know from anyone with similar experience, e.g. if "Unassigned class [ff00]" indicates a fault.

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

Card readers do fail. I had one go south recently. It just quit being recognized. It was cheap, and I tossed it and used another. I have another that is intermittent. But when I consider that I paid ~$2US for each, I'm not amazed. Even more expensive ones die. SD cards also die. Have you tried a different reader and a different SD card? Until you confirm that it's neither of those, it's hard to guess what else might be at issue.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

MartinK

#5 Post by MartinK »

This is an update for anyone who lands here searching re. Intel NUC, no response to insertion of SD card.

The message;

lspci | grep Card
3b:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
does not indicate that the SD card reader is in a failed state. The same is still displayed on my now working system.

Since Debian upgrades which included;

$ uname -r
5.9.0-3-amd64
and now kernel 5.9.0-4-amd64 my NUC7i5BNH internal SD card reader is functioning normally. In the same period I have updated the BIOS to version BN0083 for an unrelated reason (second monitor via Thunderbolt), so I cannot be certain what is cause and effect.

All I can say is Unassigned class [ff00] does not assist in the diagnosis of problems with the PCI Card Reader.