HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver?

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver?

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2020-12-23 16:35

Hello fellow Debian users,
I have been having a problem with my new Debian installation on my HP Omen PC. After a lot of headache (desktop ate the cpu, black screen of death, install errors) I finally got it to work, however I have yet to find a fix to get the wifi/bluetooth card to function. While I can use the Ethernet card and a cheap USB wifi card that I bought for a Raspberry PI, these are not always practical solutions for me and I do not have any bluetooth (which I used a lot previously). I have searched a lot of DuckDuckGo and the forums, and attempted to use the man command.

If anyone knows of a fix, this would be great!
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby arochester » 2020-12-23 17:05

I am using an HP Stream at the moment. Bluetooth is shown to me by lsusb, not lspci.
What is the output of the two commands
Code: Select all
lsusb |grep Bluetooth
and
Code: Select all
lspci |grep Bluetooth
.

My built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are Broadcom and both seem underpowered, so I use a dongle.

I have found the Arch Wiki most helpful. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth
arochester
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: 2010-12-07 19:55

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby RU55EL » 2020-12-23 18:30

CauseOfKernelPanic wrote:[...] After a lot of headache (desktop ate the cpu, black screen of death, install errors) I finally got it to work, however I have yet to find a fix to get the wifi/bluetooth card to function. [...]


Did you get asked for non-free firmware during installation?

2.2 Devices Requiring Firmware
User avatar
RU55EL
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 2014-04-07 03:42
Location: /home/russel

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2020-12-24 07:22

arochester wrote:I am using an HP Stream at the moment. Bluetooth is shown to me by lsusb, not lspci.
What is the output of the two commands
Code: Select all
lsusb |grep Bluetooth
and
Code: Select all
lspci |grep Bluetooth
.

My built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are Broadcom and both seem underpowered, so I use a dongle.

I have found the Arch Wiki most helpful. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth


Both commands return empty
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2020-12-24 07:24

RU55EL wrote:
CauseOfKernelPanic wrote:[...] After a lot of headache (desktop ate the cpu, black screen of death, install errors) I finally got it to work, however I have yet to find a fix to get the wifi/bluetooth card to function. [...]


Did you get asked for non-free firmware during installation?

2.2 Devices Requiring Firmware


Can't quite remember, maybe I did, but probably not.

If it helps, I had one error in the install software phase, but having had to reinstall multiple times I knew that restarting the section seemed to make everything work.
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby arochester » 2020-12-24 11:20

Both commands return empty


Odd. Did you use capital "B" for Bluetooth?

What is the total output from
Code: Select all
lspci
and
Code: Select all
lsusb


Can you Copy and Paste here please?
arochester
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: 2010-12-07 19:55

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2020-12-24 13:27

arochester wrote:
Both commands return empty


Odd. Did you use capital "B" for Bluetooth?

What is the total output from
Code: Select all
lspci
and
Code: Select all
lsusb


Can you Copy and Paste here please?

lspci returns:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Thermal Subsystem
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA controller [AHCI mode]
00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port (rev f0)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port (rev f0)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z370 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family Power Management Controller
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Toshiba America Info Systems Device 0116
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 16)
04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
lsusb returns:
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1058:10b8 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Elements Portable (WDBU6Y, WDBUZG)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 059f:106b LaCie, Ltd Rugged Mini HDD
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0451:8140 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB8041 4-Port Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1b1c:1b2d Corsair
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:0153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 3-in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC) Card Reader
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0951:16ed Kingston Technology
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1b1c:1b12 Corsair
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0bda:b00a Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 096e:085b Feitian Technologies, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0451:8142 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB8041 4-Port Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub


By the way, it is not a USB card, I have 1 USB card in temporarily that I borrowed, which works fine. I want to get the internal card working, and I am fine using nonfree software if I have to.
Also, I did use a capital B for Bluetooth.
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby arochester » 2020-12-24 14:02

Which specific model of HP Omen do you have?

You don't need to have an external USB to use lsusb. Sometimes it shows internal USB.
arochester
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: 2010-12-07 19:55

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby RU55EL » 2020-12-24 19:18

Looks like non-free firmware is needed for the 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS].

firmware-realtek (Assuming Debian Stable)
User avatar
RU55EL
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 2014-04-07 03:42
Location: /home/russel

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2020-12-28 17:14

RU55EL wrote:Looks like non-free firmware is needed for the 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS].

firmware-realtek (Assuming Debian Stable)


Tried installing - didn't fix even after reboot.
Now my monitor(connected over HDMI, DisplayPort does not work due to a GPU problem) consistently displays at the wrong aspect ratio (4:3 instead of 16:9) even after uninstall.
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby arochester » 2020-12-28 18:45

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
is a bit of a oddball and is not sorted by firmware-realtek.

You need to look at things like
https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce
https://github.com/realtekofflinedriver ... einstaller
arochester
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: 2010-12-07 19:55

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2020-12-31 08:26

CauseOfKernelPanic wrote:
RU55EL wrote:Looks like non-free firmware is needed for the 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS].

firmware-realtek (Assuming Debian Stable)


Tried installing - didn't fix even after reboot.
Now my monitor(connected over HDMI, DisplayPort does not work due to a GPU problem) consistently displays at the wrong aspect ratio (4:3 instead of 16:9) even after uninstall.


By the way, I fixed the monitor error by installing the NVIDIA Drivers through apt. Now I have decent graphics! :D
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby RU55EL » 2020-12-31 16:19

I'm glad you got your video display adapter working correctly! I'm sorry that I steered you wrong with your wifi adapter.
User avatar
RU55EL
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 2014-04-07 03:42
Location: /home/russel

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby CauseOfKernelPanic » 2021-01-09 11:18

RU55EL wrote:I'm glad you got your video display adapter working correctly! I'm sorry that I steered you wrong with your wifi adapter.

Its fine. Stuff like this happens.

By the way, I am now looking into PCIe wifi cards. Is anyone able to suggest one that is available new in the UK (at a decent price) and has 802.11ac support that works with Debian?
CauseOfKernelPanic
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2020-12-23 16:27

Re: HP Omen Desktop PC combination wifi and bluetooth driver

Postby arzgi » 2021-01-09 14:07

CauseOfKernelPanic wrote:
By the way, I am now looking into PCIe wifi cards. Is anyone able to suggest one that is available new in the UK (at a decent price) and has 802.11ac support that works with Debian?


This kind on questions are better for search engines. like duckduckgo for example. I'd try first 'PCIe wifi +linux' and then narrowing.
arzgi
 
Posts: 701
Joined: 2008-02-21 17:03
Location: Finland


Return to Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable