[Solved] CD/DVD player unusable

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

[Solved] CD/DVD player unusable

Postby Julius22 » 2021-02-01 19:48

I can't use a CD/DVD player on a computer using Debian 10 trying to read audio CD. I changed the CD/DVD player in my computer with two other ones I have in an other computer (which work normally in this second computer). But I get (quite) the same error messages (see below when trying to use aplay). I tried using several discs with the same result. I read some forum topics but I don't know what can be done in my case. Is there a driver problem? A hardware problem on something else that my player?
Code: Select all
$ aplay /dev/sr0
[129.644810] print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[129.664656] print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[129.664758] Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 0, async page read
aplay: read_header:2834 erreur de lecture
Last edited by Julius22 on 2021-02-02 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Julius22

Re: CD/DVD player unusable

Postby Bulkley » 2021-02-01 22:31

I have never used aplayer so I stuck in a music disk. Up popped my file manager (Pcmanfm) showing the disk contents which plays what I select. All normal. The big difference from yours is that mine is identified as cdda://sr0/ . Are you sure your /dev/sr0 is correct? A lot of small changes came with Debian 10; is this one of them?

Edited to add; I tried entering cdda://sr0/ in a terminal.

~$ cdda://sr0/
bash: cdda://sr0/: No such file or directory

I think it's not mounting properly.
Bulkley

Postby sunrat » 2021-02-02 00:57

Does the CD/DVD drive work with data discs? Has it worked in the past and now stopped working?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Julius22 » 2021-02-02 17:24

Thanks for you replies.

Bulkley wrote:Are you sure your /dev/sr0 is correct?

I'm quite sure. If I'm right, you don't need to mount an audio CD to read it. It is confirmed here and there. I don't have MPLayer installed (and don't want to). So I don't know if the MPlayer command works on my computer. But I tried using Mplayer on the computer on which my two other CD/DVD players are installed with both players. And it worked. I didn't try using the player of my problematic PC on the other one though. When I try to mount /dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom (with an audio CD), I get an error message.

Bulkley wrote:Edited to add; I tried entering cdda://sr0/ in a terminal.

~$ cdda://sr0/
bash: cdda://sr0/: No such file or directory

I get the same result. :(

sunrat wrote:Does the CD/DVD drive work with data discs? Has it worked in the past and now stopped working?

Yes, it works with a data CD (which is good to know). It has also worked in the past. But I can't remember if it already worked with an audio CD since I use Debian 10. So now, I'm still wondering how to use audio CDs. :(
Julius22

Postby Bulkley » 2021-02-02 17:53

Julius22 wrote:So now, I'm still wondering how to use audio CDs. :(

This subject comes up in Internet searches. You have company. Apparently audio CDs are harder to mount than a data CD.

:!: This works for me:
~$ mpv cdda://

Check this Bunsen Labs thread.
Bulkley

Postby Julius22 » 2021-02-02 19:26

After searching a little bit more, I wonder if aplay is able to play audio CDs. :? So I installed a command-line player: cmus. It is able to read and play the CD I was trying to read! :D

Now, I need to find how to configure MythTV in order to play this CD (which is what I initially wanted to do). But this is an other story. Thanks anyway for your help. :)
Julius22

Return to Hardware