Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] CD/DVD player unusable

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Julius22

[Solved] CD/DVD player unusable

#1 Post by Julius22 »

I can't use a CD/DVD player on a computer using Debian 10 trying to read audio CD. I changed the CD/DVD player in my computer with two other ones I have in an other computer (which work normally in this second computer). But I get (quite) the same error messages (see below when trying to use aplay). I tried using several discs with the same result. I read some forum topics but I don't know what can be done in my case. Is there a driver problem? A hardware problem on something else that my player?

Code: Select all

$ aplay /dev/sr0
[129.644810] print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[129.664656] print_req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[129.664758] Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 0, async page read
aplay: read_header:2834 erreur de lecture
Last edited by Julius22 on 2021-02-02 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: CD/DVD player unusable

#2 Post by Bulkley »

I have never used aplayer so I stuck in a music disk. Up popped my file manager (Pcmanfm) showing the disk contents which plays what I select. All normal. The big difference from yours is that mine is identified as cdda://sr0/ . Are you sure your /dev/sr0 is correct? A lot of small changes came with Debian 10; is this one of them?

Edited to add; I tried entering cdda://sr0/ in a terminal.

~$ cdda://sr0/
bash: cdda://sr0/: No such file or directory
I think it's not mounting properly.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Does the CD/DVD drive work with data discs? Has it worked in the past and now stopped working?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Julius22

#4 Post by Julius22 »

Thanks for you replies.
Bulkley wrote:Are you sure your /dev/sr0 is correct?
I'm quite sure. If I'm right, you don't need to mount an audio CD to read it. It is confirmed here and there. I don't have MPLayer installed (and don't want to). So I don't know if the MPlayer command works on my computer. But I tried using Mplayer on the computer on which my two other CD/DVD players are installed with both players. And it worked. I didn't try using the player of my problematic PC on the other one though. When I try to mount /dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom (with an audio CD), I get an error message.
Bulkley wrote:Edited to add; I tried entering cdda://sr0/ in a terminal.

~$ cdda://sr0/
bash: cdda://sr0/: No such file or directory
I get the same result. :(
sunrat wrote:Does the CD/DVD drive work with data discs? Has it worked in the past and now stopped working?
Yes, it works with a data CD (which is good to know). It has also worked in the past. But I can't remember if it already worked with an audio CD since I use Debian 10. So now, I'm still wondering how to use audio CDs. :(

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

Julius22 wrote:So now, I'm still wondering how to use audio CDs. :(
This subject comes up in Internet searches. You have company. Apparently audio CDs are harder to mount than a data CD.

:!: This works for me:

~$ mpv cdda://
Check this Bunsen Labs thread.

Julius22

#6 Post by Julius22 »

After searching a little bit more, I wonder if aplay is able to play audio CDs. :? So I installed a command-line player: cmus. It is able to read and play the CD I was trying to read! :D

Now, I need to find how to configure MythTV in order to play this CD (which is what I initially wanted to do). But this is an other story. Thanks anyway for your help. :)