Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hardware compatible problems

Need help with peripherals or devices?
cwh

Hardware compatible problems

#1 Post by cwh »

I am intending to use a Debian recently. I just want to make sure if my modem, printer, LCD, and etc. are compatible with Debian.

US Robotics external faxmodem v.92 model 5686E
HP LaserJet 1200 (would like to use USB port)
DELL E173FPB Flat Panel LCD
Pentium 4 with HT Technology
Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics2 Video Card
Integrated Audio Sound Card
DELL USB Optical Mouse
Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

cwh

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Should be fine.

Installing devices won't be as easy as the other distros. You'll have to work a bit hard no it.

A good example of this might be the printer installation. The modem and monitor should go fairly easy.

cwh

#3 Post by cwh »

Thank you for your reply! In that case, I'll consider using parallel port for my printer. Will it be really slow for parallel port?

By the way, I know there is an installation guide online for Debian. Is there any detailed configuration guide (for devices) for Debian?

tim

#4 Post by tim »

You might want to go with the usb port and install the hplip package I mentioned in my other post. And read the instructions on the hplip page. I'm running an HP multifunction device with hplip that lets me print and scan without a problem. The hplip package comes with a nice graphical interface that lets you check your ink levels. Best of all it's a debian package so it's a no-brainer to install.

Tim
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay