Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel 2.6.6 and a ReiserFS root not booting

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Ismael

Kernel 2.6.6 and a ReiserFS root not booting

#1 Post by Ismael »

Hi!

I compiled a 2.6.6 debianized Kernel source for my P2 and got a Kernel panick caused by being unable to mount the root filesystem (ReiserFS). I don't know what to do!

The last config I tryed made the screen ilegible, but I guess it's still crashing while mounting the fs. I compiled ReiserFS in the kernel, tryed also compiling a module and using mkinitrd but no sucess.

I disabled all SCSI support, does it have anything to do? (I have no CD burners or SCSI hardware)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ismael

nbd

#2 Post by nbd »

you have some needed option unchecked or checked as module

This happens a lot to me also, and always when I've checked the config, I've found that I've missed some option or compiled it as module

keep looking

(or compile all in to kernel to 'quickly' test if that's the problem)

powadha

#3 Post by powadha »

If you want to recompile without initrd you have to compile IDE support into the kernel together with the filesystem used.
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor -- James

drdebian

#4 Post by drdebian »

Why not just simply use something along the lines of

Code: Select all

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686
?