Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hp-toolbox and nvidia driver

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mdynac

hp-toolbox and nvidia driver

#1 Post by mdynac »

greetings,

running debian sarge here, fresh install.

trying to get my trusty HP DeskJet 500 working.....yes i know it is a relic but i use hardware until the smoke comes out....

anyhow when i try to launch hp-toolbox i get the following error....

mdynac@vectra:~$ hp-toolbox
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/hp-toolbox", line 41, in ?
import base.async_qt as async
File "/usr/lib/hplip/base/async_qt.py", line 85, in ?
from qt import *
ImportError: libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot handle TLS

apparently hp-toolbox does not like the nVIDIA driver (latest from nvidia)

running cups, any other suggestions to getting my printer running, without re-installing the stock nv driver??

i have been runnig redhat and fedora for 10 years, but fedora became way too slow on my PII machine w/192 megs ram....debian runs like a champ on this old stuff....

i am not familiar with deb so if anyone out there can help me configure my printer it would be quite helpful...

thx
linux rocks....doze blows...
registered linux user #348337

IBM P4-2.4G 512Megs
IBM PC300PL P3-833 384Megs
HP Vectra VL P2-333 192Megs

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

hp-toolbox? Ahh, one of those worthless bells and whistles in the hplip package. Let's do this: apt-get remove --purge hplip hplip-data hplip-base hplip-ppds && apt-get install hpijs. The installer should reset the cups server after you do this, but just in case, do # killall -HUP cupsd. Then point your browser to localhost:631, wipe the existing printer configuration, and configure your printer.

mdynac

#3 Post by mdynac »

k did all that and then i loaded the PROPER driver for my printer.....

hpijs and after installing it and all kinds of foomatic stuff......'ol cups works like a charm....

thx all.
linux rocks....doze blows...
registered linux user #348337

IBM P4-2.4G 512Megs
IBM PC300PL P3-833 384Megs
HP Vectra VL P2-333 192Megs