Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Monitor configuration?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
livingdaylight

Monitor configuration?

#1 Post by livingdaylight »

PostPosted: 2005-09-23 00:18 Post subject: Monitor settings Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Hi
Just freshly installed Sarge and Debian for that matter for the first time.

i accepted Sarge to detect my monitor settings. However, it read my settings at 800x600 with the only other option under Applications/Desktop Preferences/Screen Resolution being 480x640.

I'm a total ueber newbie. So, i was disappointed i coulldt change settings using gui. Can someone please, in baby steps now, show me how to, using command line, presumably, change to 1024x7 or8..whatever it is (its the next standard up from 800x600 isn't it?)

I am running Sarge in Gnome by the way if its relevant,

thank you,

--
livingdaylight

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Exit your x-window session. Then, at the console prompt...
1. su to root
2. dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-common
3. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
4. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

At some point, you will be asked to choose a method for setting your monitor characteristics. Choices will be Simple, Medium, Advanced. If you know the acceptable range of horizontal and vertical scan rates for your monitor, choose Advanced. If not, choose Medium.