Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mouse / pad on laptop

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mark

mouse / pad on laptop

#1 Post by mark »

Hello folks,

I just installed debian (unstable) on my laptop.
But I can't use my USB mouse and the pad isn't working correctly to:
When I had gentoo installed I could tick on the pad which gave the same effect as clicking on a mouse button. this function is gone.

Do I have to recompile the kernel (2.6.7) or do I need to edit the XFree86 config file to get the USB mouse working and get full functionality of the pad back?

Thanks in advance!

mark

DomCleal

#2 Post by DomCleal »

You don't say what type of laptop you have, or even better, what type of touchpad. Nevertheless, I'll assume it's a Synaptic touchpad (pretty common in my experience).

For a Synaptics touchpad, you'll need the xfree86-driver-synaptics package. My memory's a little hazy on how it's configured, but it should automatically set XFree86 to use it. Again, you're not very specific about your problem, whether the touchpad isn't working all of the time, or just when the USB mouse is plugged in etc.

On my laptop, so I can use both the touchpad and USB mouse, I have both InputDevice sections in my XFree86 config file - one for touchpad (driver=synaptics, identifier=touchpad) and one for the USB mouse (driver=mouse, identifier=usbmouse). Then in the ServerLayout section, you have something like....

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen    "Default Screen"
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice    "touchpad" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "usbmouse" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
You can see I've listed both the touchpad and usbmouse input devices, with the USB mouse listed as "SendCoreEvents". This means that the touchpad is the primary device, and the USB mouse works in conjuction with it. You can't/shouldn't set both to CorePointer otherwise it just doesn't work.

If it is a Synaptics touchpad, you might find the qsynaptics package useful - it's a nice Qt interface to change various settings.

HTH.
Dominic

aigarius
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#3 Post by aigarius »

synaptics driver is needed to turn on the advancd eatures of the touchpad, like tap-to-click or scroll areas.
you need to modify you /etc/X11/XFConfig86-4 file according to /usr/share/doc/xfree-driver-synaptics/README

It also helps to set the mouse device to /dev/input/mice so you can easily use any USB/PS2 mouse that you can plug in.

a word of warning: most synaptic touchpads work incorrectly with PS/2 mices, so, if you need an external mouse, use USB.
Last edited by aigarius on 2004-09-15 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

DomCleal

#4 Post by DomCleal »

Yep, my Synaptics touchpad comes up as a PS/2 device, so it wouldn't surprise me if they conflicted.
Dominic