Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Drivers for Epson Stylus DX4450 all-in-one [PARTLY SOLVED]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
garrincha

Drivers for Epson Stylus DX4450 all-in-one [PARTLY SOLVED]

#1 Post by garrincha »

Update 28.10.2008 for scanner driver

Not a specific question, more of a how-to with some unanswered questions.

This query is about the Epson Stylus DX4450 all-in-one printer/scanner (also other similar DX4000 series products) in Debian/Unstable. [Update] I do not use this as Linux printer mainly because of poor performance, i.e. slow printing and ink wastage. However, I keep this as a scanner but it will only work in 32-bits mode as currently there is no 64-bits drivers.

You can check at OpenPrinting and SANE websites for list of supported printer and scanner devices.

Scanner

Setting it up is fine if you're running 32-bits PC but not 64-bits as there is no driver for it. Note: make sure that you have ia-32 suite installed in your Debian machine. Install these packages:

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get install sane-utils sane xsane alien
You'll need the all-in-one drivers, download them from Avasys website. Go to the section Image Scan! for Linux & Photo Image Print System and choose the model Epson Stylus CX4300/CX4400/CX4450/CX5500/CX5600/DX4400/DX4450. Choose distribution - Debian, distribution version - Other. Download the two rpm files:
iscan-2.*.i386.rpm
iscan-plugin-cx4400-2.*.i386.rpm

Login as 'root' and convert the rpm packages to *.deb:

alien --scripts iscan-2.10.0-1.i386.rpm
alien --script iscan-plugin-cx4400-2.0.0-0.c2.i386.rpm
Install the *.deb:

dpkg -i iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb iscan-plugin-cx4400_2.0.0-1_i386.deb
I ran into some issues with installing iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb as this output showed:

trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.la', which is also in package libsane-extras
What I did is to use:

dpkg --force-overwrite --force-conflicts --install iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb
You may get some issuses when updating your Debian system as libsane-extras may conflicts with iscan. Since I'm running Debian unstable, it's not a big deal with me so if you're worried just make sure that you remove iscan packages before your next update and reinstall the iscan packages.

Connect your all-in-one device and switch it on, check:

lsusb
Output from mine:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:083f Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus DX4450
Login as 'root' and edit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file:

nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
Comment out 'epson' and uncomment 'epkowa':

epkowa
#epson
#epson2
Check whether Sane finds the scanning device. Login as 'root':

sane-find-scanner -q
Output from mine:

USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [Language Error], product=0x083f [Language Error]) at libusb:001:002
Make a note of vendor id (04b8) and product id (083f).
Check that the driver is installed:

scanimage -L
Output from mine:

device `epkowa:libusb:001:003' is a Epson Stylus CX4300/CX4400/CX5500/CX5600/DX4400 flatbed scanner
Add user as a member of the scanner group, login as 'root':

adduser username scanner
replace username with your user name. Logout of X or reboot, check that scanner is among the group:

group
You can make the all-in-one device available to both user 'lp' (for printing) and users in the group 'scanner'. Edit the /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libsane.rules file:

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libsane.rules
the prefix 'z60' may be different in your case.
In my case I have these lines:

# Epson Stylus DX4450
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="083f", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
I just add OWNER="lp":

# Epson Stylus DX4450
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="083f", MODE="0664", OWNER="lp", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
If you do not find a line for your devices, just add the same lines above except replace the model, vendor and product ids with the one that you noted down earlier. Restart udev:

/etc/init.d/udev restart
You can either type in the terminal:

xsane
or open xsane in gimp, by clicking on the menu
File > Acquire > Xsane

If you somehow managed to get the scanner to work on a 64 bit platform, please post here.

Printer

1. To install the printer drivers not provided by the Linux distros, you need the "lsb" package to make your system LSB-compliant.

2. You should already have these installed: cupsys, foomatic-filters, either esp ghostscript 8.15.3 or newer (gs-esp 8.15.3.dfsg.1-1 is in Debian unstable) or gpl ghostscript 8.60 or newer (gs-gpl 8.56.dfsg.1-1.1 is in Debian unstable).

See this link for the HOW-TO.

You'll also need to install alien as you'll have to convert rpm packages to deb.

3. Go to this page in the link below and download the driver (gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.1.xxxx) for your arch x86_32 bit or xz86_64 bit.
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... lus_DX3850

4. Then do (as root):

# alien --scripts <name of the downloaded RPM package>
# dpkg -i <name of deb converted from rpm package>
5. Set up CUP. See this HOWTO
for one of the methods (Printer sharing with CUPs).

Observation:
Printer worked fine but it seems to have a habit of switching off every time I sent document to print - I had to manually power the printer back up.

Also, printing was too slow and there were a lot of ink wastage.
Last edited by garrincha on 2008-11-21 14:53, edited 3 times in total.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

fastjack120884

#2 Post by fastjack120884 »

I did all the explaint steps and I tried a little bit more than that, I tried out the pips system etc but the printer still doesn't work, if I send a test page to the printer it starts printig but it just prints "Printer test Page" and then stops with both error-led's flushing for short time and finally it turns off - I'm at the end of my knowledge, I can't guess whats going on there.

I tried printing over fritz!box usb port, in fact I tried to print over network, but nothing happens when I do this......I did all steps as explaint on the avm-web-page but it doesn't work as well as direct connection.

Drivers and any thing else like cup seems to be working fine on my debian lenny system, the printer's detected automatically.....

If someone has had similar problems and found a solution for it, please let me know it.......

But I think I'll bring this f*** printer back to promarkt and buy an other instead of these on monday if I won't get an working solution.........

garrincha

#3 Post by garrincha »

fastjack120884 wrote: But I think I'll bring this f*** printer back to promarkt and buy an other instead of these on monday if I won't get an working solution.........
LOL. This was one of my printers, though I don't use it for printing in Linux anymore - too slow and it eat up too much of ink. I just hook it as a scanner to an old non-network PC.

If you're going to buy another printer choose HP instead - I got a cheap one, the HP Deskjet D2400 series and it's excellent with Debian and Linux in general. You just apt-get install hplip and providing you install and set up CUP you're off to go!
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

fastjack120884

#4 Post by fastjack120884 »

thank you for your answer, so it's just like I thought before I buyed these printer, I hoped it will work under debian `cause the ink cartridges are cheap but it was a fail - I just tried to copy something a few minutes ago but the printer's telling me the cardridges are empty - new cartridges, not the ones included by the printer it self so I'll please everyone not to buy these crap - It's the second printer doing these, I changed it one time cause I thought it was a mail function in the printer itself, but now the second does the same......and copying should work but it doesn't - it doesn't print, it doesn't copy, and scanning I haven't tried yet and i won't do it `cause I'm angry enough now :D

tomorrow I'll buy a HP printer, I haven't had any problems with these before - but the cartridges are a little bit more expansive than epson's but only on the paper, in the moment I guess epson cartridges are going empty much faster than HP ones but I don't know - I'm just knowing that I won't ever buy an epson anymore :)

garrincha

#5 Post by garrincha »

fastjack120884 wrote: it doesn't print, it doesn't copy, and scanning I haven't tried yet and i won't do it `cause I'm angry enough now :D
It does print in Debian and GNU/Linux in general but very poorly. Btw the scanner doesn't seem to work in Debian - I tried the driver from Avasy(sp) but no dice. My scanner is actually hooked up to an old PC running Windows XP using the driver from the CD that came with the printer - lucky that I got the CD as well!
tomorrow I'll buy a HP printer, I haven't had any problems with these before - but the cartridges are a little bit more expansive than epson's
Actually I think that HP's ink is cheaper than the Epson's especially when you consider the ink's life.

fastjack120884

#6 Post by fastjack120884 »

thanks a lot next time I'm buying a printer or something like this I'll be asking before I buy it and not after :D

-------

now I've got a hp deskjet F4100 series and it's working fine out of the box :)

printing no problem, scanning no (real) problem - only the user permissions for the scanner were not easy to set but at least I've done - everybody thinking over a new printer for use under debian should consider to buy HP i think :)

garrincha

#7 Post by garrincha »

See first post updated info for the scanner installation (32 bits only).

zolix

thanks in 2009

#8 Post by zolix »

Thanks for this topic. It is still valid. Thanks for you, now my DX4400 is working under Lenny fine. :D

Regards, Zolix

NicoLarve

Re: Drivers for Epson Stylus DX4450 all-in-one [PARTLY SOLVE

#9 Post by NicoLarve »

Hi everyone,

I installed the Epson DX4400 scanner today, on a Debian Squeeze (using almost stable and backports packages).

I noticed things that might help.

Newer versions 2.28 of packages iscan-*.deb from didn't work for me:
  • iscan_2.28.1-3_i386.deb
  • iscan-plugin-cx4400_2.1.3-1_i386.deb
  • iscan-data_1.13.0-1_all.deb
So I used 2.10 rpm versions:
  • iscan-2.10.0-1.i386.rpm
  • iscan-plugin-cx4400-2.0.0-0.i386.rpm
And converted them using fakeroot to avoid doing it as root:

$ fakeroot alien --scripts iscan-2.10.0-1.i386.rpm
iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb generated

$ fakeroot alien --scripts iscan-plugin-cx4400-2.0.0-0.i386.rpm
Use of uninitialized value $postinst in length at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package/Deb.pm line 741.
iscan-plugin-cx4400_2.0.0-1_i386.deb generated
I installed them:

# dpkg -i iscan_2.10.0-2_i386.deb
# dpkg -i iscan-plugin-cx4400_2.0.0-1_i386.deb
I finally get the scanner detected (note the error returned by "sane-find-scanner -q": "Language Error" which I didn't manage to resolve but wasn't an issue in the end):

$ scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname BT878 video (Pinnacle PCTV Stud virtual device
device `epkowa:libusb:002:011' is a Epson Stylus CX4300/CX4400/CX5500/CX5600/DX4400 flatbed scanner

$ sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [Language Error], product=0x083f [Language Error]) at libusb:002:011
Finally, I launched iscan, but it threw an error:

$ iscan
iscan: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
this is because we are running old compiled software (about the age of Lenny) on a Squeeze.

To solve this, I installed libstdc++5 from Lenny. Download and install it:

$ wget http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb
# dpkg -i libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb
That's it! The scanner now works like a charm.