Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

cant eject my cd ?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
komopel

cant eject my cd ?

#1 Post by komopel »

hello i cant eject my cd . I am a new debian user my desktop is kde when i try to unmount or eject some cd Konqueror says:
umount: media/cdrom0: device is busy
Please check that disk is entered correctly
can somebody help me to solve that problem? thank you?

geoffb

Re: cant eject my cd ?

#2 Post by geoffb »

komopel wrote:hello i cant eject my cd . I am a new debian user my desktop is kde when i try to unmount or eject some cd Konqueror says:
umount: media/cdrom0: device is busy
Please check that disk is entered correctly
can somebody help me to solve that problem? thank you?
Is that CD being used in a program?

For example, are you listening to the CD in Amarok (or some other music program)?

Arkaein

#3 Post by Arkaein »

I've had the same problem. Konqueror will mount some media, but won't unmount it properly, or sometimes another process will start using an open file descriptor on the media and won't let go (I think this seems to happen when you launch viewer apps from konqueror).

Here's the solution:

1) close konqueror
2) run "lsof /cdrom" or "fuser /cdrom" to check for other processes using media (substitute the proper mount point for your media here), and quit or kill these processes if necessary (use kill -9 <processname> to do so from the command line)
3) use "umount" to unmount the media from command line instead of from Konqueror

You should now be able to eject the media.

glf2818

cant eject my cd

#4 Post by glf2818 »

Did you cd to /cdrom? You will always get a busy signal if you are in the file you are trying to umount. If it continues to be a problem, pwd to see what directory you are in or just cd to get out of it. Then umount /cdrom.

VSB

#5 Post by VSB »

Don't use Konqueror for copying files from CD/DVD, use mc. And don't forget to close all applications using any files from CD before unmounting.