Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Differences among Xserver packages & some install issues

Need help with peripherals or devices?
icekin

Differences among Xserver packages & some install issues

#1 Post by icekin »

I have an ancient machine I am planning to use only for a web server, nothing more. Its 166Mhz and has only 32 MB RAM with 300 MB Swap. I was using Ubuntu, but it needed too much resources so I moved to debian sarge.

I did expert26 net install so it only installed basic packages, no gui. Now I try doing [code]apt-get install x-window-system-core[/code] and it says :

[code]x-window-system-core: Depends: xbase-clients but it is not going to be installed E: Broken packages[/code]

Someone told me to try [code]apt-get install xserver-xorg[/code]. I also saw these somewhere : [code]apt-get install x-window-system[/code]

Inside aptitude, there is also a Xfree86-server and a Xfree86-common. What is the difference between all the Xservers and which one should I try?

Also, after this I need to install fluxbox since it is low resource and will work on 32 MB RAM (hopefully). So, I did [code]apt-get intsall fluxbox[/code] but it said package could not be found. Okay, I suppose I need to add some new repositories to the list, but I thought fluxbox was a standard thing. Anyway, I searched http://apt-get.org for fluxbox and added the repository and did [code]apt-get update[/code] but still it can't find fluxbox.

Anyone know a single good stable repository where I can find everything I want? Or how to find one. I also need Apache, mySQL and PHP for the web server. Thanks.[/code]

tim

#2 Post by tim »

I don't think you can install xorg on sarge. You have to use xfree. Have you tried apt-get install x-window-system (leave out the "core" part)?
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay