Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I can't find my other hard disk!

Need help with peripherals or devices?
GabrielMjollnir

I can't find my other hard disk!

#1 Post by GabrielMjollnir »

I recently installed a copy of Debian Linux in a second (Slave) hard disk I have.

The other hard disk has Windows XP Pro installed. When I start up Linux I can't see my master (WIN XP) hard disk anywhere. Is there any way I can mount it? Most of my files and documents are in that disk.

Oh, my master drive is NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

G.M. :D

#2 Post by Guest »

You can add the windows partition or mount directly. Excuse any syntax errors here since I'm away from my linux box right now. You would use something like

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

This assumes your windows partition it hda1. You would also need to create the mount point /mnt/windows first.

If you add the partition to your fstab you will be able to have it mounted on boot too.

man mount, and man fstab should give you lots to read also. :)

GabrielMjollnir

#3 Post by GabrielMjollnir »

I didn't install Linux in a partition on my "C:" drive, but in a second hard disk ("D:").

I had previously used Knoppix Linux from a bootable CD and when I did so both hard disks appeared on my desktop (hda0 [C:] & hda1 [D:]).

Now, D:, where Linux is installed appears in the device directory as hdb1 but my other hard disk is not in the dev directory or anywhere else.

Is there some command I can use to fix this? A package I can install?

When I tried "mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows " I got this message from the Terminal:

"mount: mount point /mnt/windows does not exist"

Then I opened file:/etc/fstab and it shows this:

"# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0"

A second problem is that when I try to play an audio CD I get no sound at all, despite that I can play mp3's without a problem.

I'm not very experienced with Linux, I've only been using it for a few weeks so I'll need lots of help and instruction! :P

Arkaein

#4 Post by Arkaein »

The error message just means that there is no /mnt/windows directory in your filesystem (which the previous comment instructed you to make). Switch to root, make the directory and try to mount again. Alternatively you could select an existing (and empty) directory for the mount point.

Also, the instructions given were to mount without an fstab entry (which is why the mount point, filesystem type and device name were all specified). After you get the disk to mount manually you can add an entry to fstab to make mounting simpler in the future, using the same basic parameters. The entry should probably look like this when you get to this point:

Code: Select all

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,user,noauto 0 0 
This makes the windows partition read-only because I believe NTFS writing is somewhat unreliable and not recommended under Linux.

Mike

#5 Post by Mike »

A second problem is that when I try to play an audio CD I get no sound at all, despite that I can play mp3's without a problem
Do you have the audio cable connected from your CD drive, to your sound card?

GabrielMjollnir

#6 Post by GabrielMjollnir »

Mike wrote:
A second problem is that when I try to play an audio CD I get no sound at all, despite that I can play mp3's without a problem
Do you have the audio cable connected from your CD drive, to your sound card?
No, it's not directly connected.